I need a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 15, 2018.

1. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Get a big dog with big teeth and a big menacing bark/growl, one who only likes people that you like. Also, we have lights that come on automatically when they sense motion. Which, by the way is good or bad, depending how much wild life you have in your area. But, these guys showed up in broad day light?

ginster, mooselady and slc like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Well, this time, yeah. Friend says they case a place out, and come back later, after dark to rob the place.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

I had a protective dog. It was really horrible, actually. He barked at a park ranger once, and the ranger drew his service revolver and would have shot the dog if I hadn't 'gotten in the way.'

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Basically an unloaded gun is worthless for home self-defense, in my mind...unless you can combat load a weapon. So is a locked up gun. I am of the mindset when i reach for a gun because I am in fear of my safety, I want the gun to be ready to use. All I want to have to do is depress the safety. As a caveat...we do not have children in our home. If you're in the barn, and you don't have a gun...pick up a pitchfork or a garden tool, or even a hammer. Always have your phone with you. You should definitely sign up for a class to learn about safety and how to use your gun. And, practice shooting targets.

bobo and horses likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.

My neighbor talked to me too, he feels the same way. A locked up gun is not any good. However, I'll be thinking of a way to deal with that. I did see a lock that involves just putting a hand on a screen. That's interesting, but I bet, expensive.

6. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

A locked up gun would do you absolutely zero good in that situation anyways. You’ll want to keep your eyes on them , not run and get a gun. And who’s to say you’ll be in the house anyways.

I keep very big , very sharp knives in my truck. Hidden from view but very much within reach. Even if I’m outside my truck is never far from me .... and I have 3 knifes , 2 tire irons , and a baseball bat in it. And I know where each of them are and can grab them without looking.

bobo and horses likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I had two guys in a black older model, beat up pickup truck come up just after dusk. All I had to do was flip the porch light on and come out on the porch with the shot gun. The truck stopped, turned around and took off back down the drive and out the gate.

You don't need “A gun.“ You need a shotgun. Something big and long enough to make an impression and whose click, when you load the barrell, can be heard...from a good distance~!!

Buy the gun then take lessons from a good instructor. In no time, you will be very proficient at handling yourself with it.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's very scary. If it were me, I'd get a shotgun. You really need to keep any gun loaded though IMO. I've no idea what to do about locking it up, that virtually renders it useless when you need it in a hurry. I kind of doubt there's much risk with your husband as his spells are short lived and scant. The next best option obviously is the handgun, but requires lots of training and the same issues apply. There's just something about the sound of a shotgun being pumped that'll usually be all you'd need. Stay safe and get the police to cruise you. *shivers*

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. Tends to drive off riff raff fast. Creepy.

10. ParkedOut

ParkedOut Senior Member

For the house, I’d go with a nice 12 gauge. They’re like the basic for home defense in my opinion. Point and shoot.

For my person I carry a 357.

Im sorry you felt scared. I hate that.