I need a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 15, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

Just had some people come on the property here, not interested in leaving, insisting my husband sent them over. Two men.

I knew there was absolutely no way my husband told them to come over.

I was alone.

I did not feel comfortable. There was this point where the bigger guy wouldn't get back in the truck, I had a moment there where I was not at all sure how it was going to turn out. That was not a comfortable feeling.

I just kept saying, loudly, 'get in the truck, get off my property.'

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Did you call the police ? I do not answer the doors for strangers and we have 4 dogs who bark loudy. And if I ever need to, unwanted visitors who won't leave will hear the sound of my pump action shotgun.

BossMare16 likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes, I called the police.

The men who came on the property undid a gate on the driveway, and drove all the way back to the barn.

I am very, very sure they thought no one was home. There were no visible cars.

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

That's so scary. Did you get their tag number?

5. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Been there, done that. It's NOT fun. And people wonder why I insist on having my Rottie by my side.

MzCarol and rhinebeck like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

No, I was too focused on noting their descriptions and wondering how I was going to wind up. There was a moment when they would not get back in the truck that did not feel good at all. I was alone there and I was thinking the very least I was going to get was beat up.

My friend said if they're some fly-by-nighters, they change the plates anyway, so not to feel bad about the plates.

They didn't pause to nose around for a different driveway, either, like they might if they got the address wrong. The sign on their truck was one of those vinyl ones that's easy to take off. The name of the paving business just was not listed anywhere.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Anyway, the reason I brought it up is that I want to have access to a gun. It's been years since I shot anything and I need a lot of instruction on safety and usage. So any advice as to type of weapon and management is welcome.

My husband occasionally delirium due to Addison's disease, so it absolutely can't just be laying around. I want something that would require a person to be very alert and aware to unlock.

I'm waffling between a 22 rifle and some kind of handgun. I don't envision having to carry it with me to work or while traveling, if that were the case, I'm sure a handgun would be preferable. I believe this would just be for around the home/farm.

It would be good if it could be used to shoot raccoons and possums. We have a pretty bad problem with them around here. We've had some black bears around here and some 'panthers' (probably bob cats). And of course we have coyote and fox. A fox got in our henhouse and killed most of our chickens.

8. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Ask the cops for close patrol tonight. Buy a shotgun. Install cameras

9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I thought you were anti-gun? You’ve certainly had plenty of condescending things to say to gun owners.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

In such a case, I would have stayed in my locked house out of view but where I could have seen them and called the cops. I would have told them that I was alone and there were two suspicious men on my property and I feel in danger.

I would not engage with a gun unless they broke in, personally.