1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

I need a GPS for horseback riding

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by PeggySue, Oct 19, 2008.

1. *Aftica*

*Aftica* Senior Member

I'd check them out ,pretty much any place that has hiking/hunting stuff .they should have them if not an associat should know where to get them.

2. calypsoscarnivl

calypsoscarnivl Senior Member+

Maybe a trail of bread crumbs? :rofl:

I'm bad with directions, too. One time I was hunter pacing with a friend and we were yapping so much we completely missed a few turns and got REALLY lost!

Let us know what you end up with and how it works!

3. horsephotog

horsephotog Senior Member

I have a Garmin in my photovan and when out hiking or riding a use the very simple to use Garmin etrex. Both have always gotten me back to where I started from. Don't feel bad about being directionally challenged. I do alot of photography in the deserts and canyons of the western states and it's pretty easy to get turned around when you have no real points of reference.

4. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

Which Etrex do you have?? that is what we are looking at we really want to get one local so if I am too stupid to use it we can return for a easier one LOL I kinda want one with topograph so I can SEE what I am riding into:blushing:

5. orbitrek

orbitrek Registered

IF you have phone with GPS chip, you can try this application: sportypal , I just saw at their community that someone has used this for horseriding in freestyle mode. So it is working just it doesn't shows the calories burned.

6. QOS

QOS Senior Member

I am not directionally challenged but I would still like a Garmen or something to tell me how many miles we have gone and to "map" out where I went so I can name the trails at Ebenezer!!!

Will they all make a trail/map of where you have been on a ride? I have asked Santa to bring one...but my Santa is the cheap model...he is a tightwad Santa.

7. Berlunz

Berlunz Senior Member

sorry guys but this thread is a year old =)

8. pittmd

pittmd Senior Member+

I use a garmin Etrex basic model for hunting, fishing. Cost about $89 and can save your bacon when it gets dark and you can't tell what direction is which. I am not very good with keeping directions straight using a compass either. First time i used my GPS I was grouse hunting and walked for 4 hours going north using my compass. When I decided I should head back to the truck I check my GPS just for kicks. It told me i was 250 feet from my truck! I had walked in a complete circle and thought i was going north all that time. I blame my dog but he says he never gets lost...:no:

9. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

I got the Garmin Etrex the Yellow one just a basic one and I LOVE IT!!! tells me how fast I have went, how far and STOPS ME FROM GETTING LOST LOL

10. mytega

mytega Senior Member+

I got this one for my dad for hiking.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PDR1LS/ref=oss_T15_product"]Amazon.com: Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color High-Sensitivity Mapping Handheld GPS: Electronics[/ame]

Here is some more info on the models.

Garmin eTrex Venture HC - 14 hr battery life
    Garmin
    eTrex Summit HC - Venture + compass and altimeter, 14 hr battery
    Garmin
    eTrex Legend HCX - Venture + SD card, 25 hr battery
    Garmin
    eTrex Vista HCX - Venture + compass, altimeter & SD card, 25 hr battery

All four are 4.2" x 2.2" x 1.2", weigh 5.5 oz, have 12 channel receiver, connect with USB, have MP3 player, take 2 AA batteries and are waterproof.

ETA: Whoops, just saw the you got one. Hope you love it!