I know this is wildly petty and judgemental....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by QHriderKE, Mar 29, 2017.

1. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

But I've got to get it off my chest.

Social media is driving me nuts lately, especially Instagram. I know that I would be better off to not say anything, and I don't go about telling people they are wrong on social media sites, they can do whatever they want to do, but that doesn't mean I'm not bothered by it.

There seems to be an obsession going around that wearing a flat brim hat and having a rope tied to your saddle makes you a "buckaroo". You don't need to be able to work a cow or use that rope, just dress the part and use a hashtag! I'm not just guessing that they lack those skills either, it's people I know and/or have rode with.
    I've been roping and ranching most of my life (since I was physically able to), and it bothers me when someone labels me as a "cowgirl". It seriously makes me cringe.

Whatever happened to paying your dues and earning your stripes? That was a huge part of the Vaquero traditions, they and their horses had to earn the right to so much as tie a certain knot in their mecates! (alamar knot, it's a badge of honor)

Less hat, more cowboy... as the saying goes.
    I hope some of you understand where I'm coming from here and don't rip me to bits, I just have it out for people that lead on to be something they aren't, that's all.

I don't want to go around telling folks they can't do this and they can't do that, I just wish that people would be more humble about themselves and their abilities because talking yourself up can get you into big trouble. I wish there was a nice way to explain it to people, but I don't think there is. I will just have to keep biting my tongue!

Rant over. Sorry, but I feel about 115% better that I ranted about this to someone other than my b/f for a change.

I would really like to hear your thoughts on this too, if we can all keep it civil.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ahht. They're out there. No idea, but I'm glad you can vent here. It's cathartic. Get it out if your system-!!

3. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

It just bothers me how social media has allowed people to be so fake.
    Why can't we just be happy with who we are and what we've got??? :no:

4. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I get bothered when people dress up in plaid, boots, and booty shorts to go to a country concert. These are people who would never be caught dead in those clothes outside of a country concert, but for some reason feel the need to "play the part" at a concert.
    Western wear is not a costume.

They're not hurting anyone, not breaking any rules, and have no ill intentions. But it still bothers me. I'm petty.

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Lol I had a co-worker show me her and her husband's new cowboy hats. Hers is American flag Jason Aldean style hat and his was crooked, I told her she needed to get his shaped, she didn't know they shaped hats.

Lol, I don't know how I feel about ppl and their fashion statements. I do ride, but I only wear my hat and boots when I'm riding... don't try to be a cowgirl when you don't even know which end to feed. The cowgirl pointy toed boots trend gets on my nerves, when you try to go boot shopping for real boots, all you can find are pointy toed boots!!!

6. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I had to drop Facebook a few months ago because I just couldn't take it anymore. People are fake, they put their entire lives on blast without realizing the consequences, and I really didn't want to associate with those kind of people anymore. So I glimpsed you once for 5 minutes in high school. Cool, I don't care about your radical political opinions or want to see embarrassing pictures of your 3 kids.

I admittedly still have insta, and luckily the people I follow aren't obnoxious. Going into that search feed, though... man, that's a ride.

7. Standardbredgirl

Standardbredgirl Senior Member

I understand... girls around here think if they get a pair of cowboy boots(that have never seen a barn)OMG they're cowgirls,country and this and that:rolleyez:.. I've always worn jeans and boots. In the last year every single girl in my hometown has started dressing like meo_O. People call me a cowgirl... I'm not I wish I was...but just because i ride horses doesn't make me a cowgirl. Now I am country... just not a cowgirl.. and like you said @QHriderKE people have to earn the right to be call a cowboy or cowgirl.

8. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Yeah, don't you love when they don't even own a horse, grew up in the suburbs, and have never worked a day on the ranch in their life and they're "PROUD TO BE A COWGIRL!"

#mossyoakslife

9. Standardbredgirl

YES!! I just want to hand them a pitchfork and see if they can even clean a stall!

10. Standardbredgirl

You should be flattered... you look like you're having so much fun being you they're just going to try it(or fake it so people will think that they're cool too)!