1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured I HATE "Natural" Horsemanship!!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by TrickPony, Jul 18, 2006.

1. nhblond

nhblond Senior Member

One of the reasons for posting on this thread is a silly one.....my username is nhblond. When I first joined I used to see "nh" here and "nh" there in threads. I was so confused because to me, nh means New Hampshire the state I live in. It didn't take rocket science to figure out by the context of the threads that people were not referring to my home state! Eventually I came to understand that it is the abbrev. that many of you use for Natural Horsemanship. I had to really laugh when I figured it out, Duh! Notice the second part of my username???? Anyway, most of you know that I am an adult beginner. Natural horsemanship makes me think of a trainer that I hooked up with in Maine who turned out to be a total Quack!!!!! I do like alot of the principles, but it is not gospel to me. Anyway, I added my location to my profile/avatar so that anyone who dislikes Natural horsemanship will not assume my username refers to that discipline, LOL !!!

2. *ellie*

*ellie* Full Member

i like the idea of natural horsemanship but i dont think that evryone can do it and there is no possible way that us little peoples can hurt our big strong horses, horses do much more damage to each other than we do to them but i dont agree with really cruel methods of breaking like scaring horses or tying them down so they cant move u need a balance between gentle asking and then enforcing your point physically. But most importantly u need sum intelligence before anyone lets u near a horse wit a whip i cant stand ignorant people who just hit their horse its just wrong!

3. probarrelracer

probarrelracer Senior Member

When someone uses the term "Natural Horsemanship" when describing their training, it is usually an attention getter that hints at some sort of gimmik training. Most good trainers train naturally. It is just the way that training should be done. A good trainer just trains. They don't really call attention to their methods, just the finished product. When you hear the term "natural horsemanship," beware, someone is probably trying to get in your pocket.

1 person likes this.
  4. kellidahorsegirl

kellidahorsegirl Senior Member+

I agree ProBarrel...
    I train horses, but I don't recall ever giving my methods a name. I use what method the horse tells me to use and things have seemed to work out great so far.

5. PonyCrazyGal

PonyCrazyGal Senior Member+

I'm not one of those natural horsemanship freaks, but I definitely agree
    with the whole asking first hardly at all, and then getting stronger and
    stronger, and not actually punishing until you've asked about 3 times. Now,
    after you get onto them once, and you know that they understand what is
    being asked, you should once again ask kindly, and then immidiately get
    them in trouble if they don't listen.

Now, this is sort of interesting, I think.

The other day, at a horseshow, my horse and I were about 3 or 4 rounds
    out, and he was being really rude.... just wouldn't stand still, and was
    trying to rush back to his stall. Well, each time that he tried to spin around
    and walk away, I tried to correct him, and then my trainer tried to hold
    onto his reins (down by the bit, I still had them as well) but he just
    wouldn't stop. So, she took my crop, and hit him one time pretty hard on
    the chest, and he stood perfectly still the rest of the time. My trainer
    explained to me that mares will nip at their baby's chests when they are
    invading their personal space, or just want the baby to back off, and stay
    there.
    It was just so interesting to me how well that it worked. So i'm not
    sure if you consider that using natural horsemanship, but I do think that it
    is sometimes good to relate things back to what they know and
    understand, because it works! (atleast for me!)

Anyway, I just thought that this was interesting, and
    decided to share!!! Lemme know what you think!

6. Shodan VIV

Shodan VIV Senior Member

Don't know too much, but it's probably not effective for all horses.

7. aussie_jumper

aussie_jumper Senior Member

!!

u have to be cruel to be kind and when my horses disagree with what i tell them i just keep pushing them to do it untill when they do it i am kind and give a release on the reins. i also hit them when the buck or pigrout then i carry on with what i was doing...

8. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member

You hit them when they buck? That's not very effective.

9. PaintedPNH

PaintedPNH Senior Member+

I can't believe I didnt catch this before, and if I did and said something already, I'm sorry BUT Pat does talk about this! He said it down at the Madison clinic and my dad brings it up alllll the time.

10. canadianlover

canadianlover Senior Member+

MAN if that lady had been talking to me I woulda rode off and told her sorry that my horse was so badly trained he cant stand still cuz he hasnt done any "natural" horsemanship AND THEN I WOULD TELL HER TO SHOVE IT! quite honestly, i would be shocked if there is one person in the world who has not once gotten frusterated with there horse!