I Hate Movies With Horses in Them!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Alliekk, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Alliekk

Alliekk Senior Member+

I just watched "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and just realized how much I HATE seeing horses in movies!!! There's always some jackbutt yanking on his poor horse's mouth "for effect." :no: I also HIGHLY despise the ones where they're flipping their poor horses over down hills! I think it's a neat trick to teach your horse to fall down, but good lord! Just watch how they do it! It's not a gentle tug, they YANK their horse's mouth to wrench their head over :mad:

I think the worst movie I can think of is The Last Samurai. UGH! The "last stand" battle scene at the end has me crying for the poor horses!

Anyone else feel this way about movies like this?

2. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

ya I would rather see the people in the movies die than the animals

3. LifeIsGrand

LifeIsGrand Senior Member

Yeah, unfortunately the last thing a director cares about is how well riders are in the movies. Most people that watch the movies aren't going to be able to tell the difference anyway, and the director probably doesn't know either. As long as the horses make it out alive, healthy, and back home safe and sound that's all I really care about.

4. Alliekk

Alliekk Senior Member+

Anyone ever notice King Theoden's equitation in the Lord of the Rings movies? He flaps his arms like a chicken, throws his feet forward and points his toes down, then when the horse slows down he throws his feet back :rolleyez: it's painful! And they call him a Horse Master :rolleyes:

5. equineeventer33

equineeventer33 Senior Member

DON'T GO SEE TRUE GRIT THEN!!!! I almost walked out. Aside from the horse parts, it wasn't a very good movie anyway so don't see it haha. I almost started crying and I never cry in movies. Well except Marley and Me.

6. Razzle_Dazzle

Razzle_Dazzle Senior Member

It upsets me as well to see how horses are treated in most movies these days. I am a stunt rider and horse handler for low-budget movies that are shot in my area, most of them are for a film school that is down the road from me. I always make it a point to educate the student film makers, directors, and actors about horses and horse care to make them appreciate them a little more. I hate it when I ride for newbie directors that want me to do downright stupid stuff to my horse.

7. gaelinsgirl

gaelinsgirl Senior Member

On the other hand I just LOVE the scene in LOTR when Gandalf takes Pippin and gallops out on Shadowfax for Minas Tirath in the Return of The King. It's so beautifull - and no saddle or bridle, just them and the horse. How I would love to do that!

(I was going to audition to ride in the LOTR films but didn't have a horse at the time. One of my coaches that worked with me when I did my studies in Stable Practice did ride in the movies as an extra and said it was just amazing!)

8. Alliekk

Alliekk Senior Member+

I like it, too :) I also love seeing an actor that actually knows how to ride! Like Viggo Mortenson, Clint Eastwood, Kevin Costner, etc. I love that they can ride without flopping around and bouncing on their mouths...

9. gaelinsgirl

gaelinsgirl Senior Member

Viggo on a horse = drool;)

10. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

;) *Drools with Gaelin'sGirl* :D