I got bucked off for the first time today :( *pics*

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by phoebeq, Apr 15, 2010.

1. phoebeq

phoebeq Senior Member+

So, we have been working with Kyia lately. I will fully admit, that I don't know much about tack... When my sister in law came up in February, I picked out the headstall, and she picked everything else. Well, she got a mechanical Hackamore, which I am now reading and being told is NOT good for a horse that isn't finished... Well, hubby had been getting on her before me the last couple of times. He has a heavier hand than I do, and she would always give him trouble at first. After researching the mechanical hackamore and reading that it is a pretty harsh setup, I thought, okay, I will get on her first this time and see if a softer hand will make a difference. NOPE...she did pretty well at first, little bit of fussing, but not bad. Then she did a couple of pretty big crow hops...I hung on through those, even though I went forward A LOT (I have never had a horse buck before today, BTW). Then we went a little more and she started going faster without me asking her to. I pulled back lightly and said "whoa"...nope...she started bucking and I TRIED so hard to hang on and it just didn't happen. Like I said, I don't have any experience with hanging to a bucking horse...so I ended up on the ground. This was my first fall...it wasn't nice. That HURT. My lower right side is killing me. When I pick up my right leg....oooooh no....don't do that. My left boot got stuck in the stirrup and my foot came out. You can actually see my boot flying through the air in the last few pics...fun stuff. I...am terrified of falling again now...I did end up getting back on her about 30 minutes later, but only so hubby could lead me around. I was hurting pretty badly and I knew if she started her poop again, that I wouldn't be able to stay on for sure. Hubby wants me to get on her and just hang on and teach her that she can't get her way...I don't want to do that...I know that I am not experienced enough to do this. He doesn't understand that I don't mind if a horse spooks and ends up throwing me off...that doesn't bother me. But I DO NOT enjoy going out to ride my horse and because she doesn't want to do what I ask, she bucks me off. That is not fun. I NEVER wanted to ride a green horse that needed more training. I was told that Kyia was trained...just needed more time under saddle...sorry I don't think so. Anyway, sorry to rant, but this was kind of a large argument between hubby and I on the way to town afterwards. He said if I'm not gonna break her of this, then I should just sell her, where as I want to let someone else that is more experienced do it. I don't think that this is too unreasonable...I have 2 kids, and I honestly don't want to put myself in any unnecessary danger...which I know that ANY horse can kill you, whether they are the calmest, most level-headed horse, or the craziest horse. All it takes is that ONE thing to make them lose it. I just don't think that I can handle a horse that isn't completely trained. My neighbor who use to break horses, is coming over tomorrow to "start over on the basics" with her. I will NOT be getting back on her until I am confident that she knows what is being asked of her. We are going to start back with ground work and her ex is going to come after we are done with the ground work and ride her a few times for me, to make sure she is good to go. Sorry if I am rambling on...Hubby told me I needed to get the sand out of my Va-nay-nay and just get back on her...and it is really kinda of hitting a sore spot and bothering me...

So, if you read this entire rant, you deserve a pat on the back...but here are the pics ( I told him before we went out there to have the camera ready incase she did anything, so don't worry, he wasn't doing it to be mean :D) They are pretty entertaining, too lol :)

Please don't critique my rodeo skills...I know that I am "doing it wrong" :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TB4life

TB4life Senior Member+

I have to admit the last 5 pictures had me laughing out loud! Glad you're OK. :D

3. EquineChic5980-

EquineChic5980- Full Member

Very pretty horse! The photo with your boot flying off made me laugh out loud! I use a hackamore on my horse all the time, but he's used to it, and he hates the bit.
    Ouch..That sounds like it hurt. Feel better, and don't give up confidence on her, or yourself.

4. phoebeq

phoebeq Senior Member+

Oh, I forgot to mention, that we will be going to a sidepull from now on...at least for a while :)

5. phoebeq

phoebeq Senior Member+

LOL, yeah, I figured if I had pics, it would make it easier to laugh at later on :D

6. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator

OMG! I'm SO sorry but I'm ROTFL!!!!! :rofl:

I'm glad you're okay though!

7. mistysangel0

mistysangel0 Senior Member+

I'm really glad your ok.. it looks like you stayed on for quite a while though!!

But I ahve to admit those pictures are kind of funny

8. phoebeq

phoebeq Senior Member+

I love Scotch's "Holy cr*p! I'm getting out of here" look :)

9. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

Looks like you were riding it pretty good until you let go of the saddle horn. And ya, I admit, I laughed when I saw the boot flying through the air!

So glad you didn't get hurt! Gotta love having pictures of moments like that.

PS-I just discovered today that at the last show I did the photographer got shots of my mare deciding to roll after the class was over and I was still on her!!!

10. Lovesbeau

Lovesbeau Senior Member

Scotch is like "Mom! Your not supposed to buck off the lady that feeds us!! I'm getting outta here I can't be at the crime scene!!"

I'm so sorry but good for you for staying on for that!!