I finally made the cut!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by ChestersMomma, Apr 19, 2016.

1. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I didn't quite go for the Vinnie roach like I've been saying I will when I see OhSoAppy's threads but I did finally trim. I hesitated good and long when it was time to actually cut into the mane but I'm glad I did it.

Went from this: image.jpeg

To this (please excuse the mud):
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

I know it's not perfect but I'm surprised how much I like it! I got mostly positive reviews except from my mom. She just said "oh" and then "I wonder how long till it grows back out". I pressed her further and she said "he just looks Amish to me now".:p

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

:rofl: The Amish would've just buzzed the whole thing right off~!!

I think it looks decent~!! You can take a scissor and just put little tiny V cuts into the very bottom and that will make it look more natural and take the straight edge off it.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He looks spiffy! Seriously, he looks so much neater. That is a good idea manes about the v cuts, sort of like when we trim our own bangs. Hold the scissors vertical and you'll get a really natural edge.
    Just bootiful!! :)

TLFC, manesntails and ChestersMomma like this.
  4. ChestersMomma

She meant like an Amish person. :rofl:

And yes- I did try the v cutting thing :blushing: I guess it takes practice to perfect. When I thought I was done, I stood back and could still see the little Vs. I think a smaller, sharper pair of scissors might be in order for future touch ups. I ended up taking the clippers to it a little.

Varisha, SEAmom and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. ChestersMomma

Thank ya kindly :tiphat:

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

:rofl:

It's even funnier then~!!

7. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I think you did great! It's certainly leaps and bounds better than what I can do. I'm that person who just keeps taking a little here and a little there until suddenly I'm roaching a mane with scissors. Lol

8. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

One time, I had an Arab mare with a beautiful mane. It got all tangled right before I had my baby, and I didn't have the time/energy to untangle it all. After baby was a week or two old, husband and I get the two horses out for grooming. I'm cleaning up my gelding, he's working on the lovely Arab mare. I hear him say "....uh...." and look over to see a horrible bowl scissors-cut the whole way on my lovely little Arab!

That's the story of how I ended up taking over the scissors and roaching my Arab. She really looked pretty good with it, though!

9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I think it looks great! I ended up roaching my mare's weird mane with scissors in the fall. It grew so unevenly due to the fact she let other horses chew on her. Up near her ears and halfway down her neck -- gorgeous, full mane. The rest of the way -- she looked like a 2 year old kid who found a pair of scissors. After working up some courage, I cut it all off and she looked fantastic. It's growing back nicely now. haha.

Alsosusieq2 and ChestersMomma like this.
  10. Dukanero

Dukanero Full Member

I love that look on horses. But then I love long manes too. LOL! My only reason why I don't cut is because I have to do a lot more to the mane when showing then. Yes, I'm lazy.

Alsosusieq2 and ChestersMomma like this.