I finally built a tack trunk for "me"...after so many for others...

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Jim_in_PA, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I have taken commissions on tack trunks for a number of folks over the last few five years (just got a new one pending) and finally decided to make myself one that is more in tune with my needs after taking into account use of the original prototype all this time as well as the various design changes I've made for folks to accommodate their needs for their trunks. After some sporadic time working on this project over the last month, I finally finished mine this evening...sans one piece of brass hardware that will come in the hardware order for the new commission and a decorative element that I still haven't decided on.

The two major differences with this trunk over the original prototype (which will become Alesya's own trunk) are the little bit of bandage storage in the lid; one section for pillows and one for the standing wraps...and an integral lockable drawer that will let me access the stuff that normally lives "under" everything that is in the top layer without having to remove things. Incorporating a drawer made the trim that I do on my trunks a bit more complicated because the drawer has some of that trim on it, but I'm pleased with the end result. (The time involved to do this correctly would add considerably to the cost if someone ever requested it!)

At any rate, this trunk will live on top of the original lower drawer unit that the current prototype sits on and I'm looking forward to getting the majority of stuff that inhabits the back of my Grand Cherokee all the time into the barn where it belongs! This trunk, like the original, is cherry and will get substantially darker with time as exposure to oxidation and UV rays does its thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For reference, here's the original prototype on top of the lower drawer unit. (30" deep drawer on that fits dressage pads, etc., flat) This also shows the color cherry darkens to over time...there is NO stain/dye used on cherry in my shop!
    [​IMG]

20 people like this.
  2. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I need one of these. They're amazing

3. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Oh, how beautiful! I wish I could smell it. (Does that sound utterly bizarre? I just love the smell of freshly-crafted wood!)

4 people like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Beautiful, simply beautiful

5. Jim_in_PA

Ms_Pigeon, not a whole lot of "wood" smell going on there! LOL Other than the trim work, it's furniture grade veneer plywood and that doesn't really have too much of the 'fresh cut wood' aroma. :)

6. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Bummer! Regardless, gorgeous craftsmanship. :)

7. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

If you ever make them to sell I will buy one:wink:, that is very nice.

8. Jim_in_PA

I do make them on commission, but it would cost a ton of money to ship something like that from PA to Florida due to the size and weight. Several hundred dollars for truck freight on top of $800+ for a trunk probably would make many folks think twice! ;) But I thank you for your kind comment! It's appreciated.

9. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

Just kidding I am moving to west Virginia so would that be better?:D. I didn't inherit my family talents when it comes to building things.

10. Jim_in_PA

Yes, WV is better, especially since I actually go to Parkersburg a few times a year to see a customer...and only about once to Florida to visit the 'rents, and that on a plane.