1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

I feel like i am forgetting something.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cowgirl247, Jul 19, 2013.

1. cowgirl247

cowgirl247 Senior Member

so I leave for 8 days in Seattle tomorrow morning (at least 8 days in the Seattle area). I'm flying there and I will be staying with my aunt.

I've pretty much packed all the essentials as far as clothing......I don't forsee us going anywhere super nice, but I am wondering if I should pack a nicer outfit just in case............???

I don't actually have a carry-on for the plane, but I am borrowing a backpack from my dad for that use. In that I will have a book/magazine, deck of cards, discman/earphones/CD's and maybe snacks for the plane (I know they won't let me bring anything from home so whatever snacks I do get I have to buy once I get through security at the airport), and my Dramamine for motion sickness. Oh and on the topic of plane rides, this is going to be a stupid question but I have to ask.......this will be the first time I've flown with braces on my teeth. In the past I have always chewed gum on takeoffs to help relieve the pressure on my ears. Since I am not allowed to chew gum with braces, what else can I do? is the act of chewing ANYTHING enough to help??

we will be doing some hiking on Mt. Rainier at least one day that I am there......I've only seen Rainier from the air on approach to Seattle. Does it get super cold there? i'm only bringing one sweatshirt and jeans as far as warm clothing....i'm a native southern Californian so that's all the "warm clothing" I have!! we are also going to Olympic National Rainforest....what's it like, climate-wise, there? (I will also be bringing a swimsuit because we are actually spending one night on Mt. Rainier in a motel/lodge and another night in the Olympic National Rainforest....on the chance that either of these places have a pool, I would like to use it!!)

any other thoughts or ideas? like I said, I feel like I am missing something.......

2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

an umbrella? :)

3. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member+

You can chew gum with braces. Just stay away from bubble gum. (i.e. Extra and 5 gum is fine every now and again, but stay away from Dubble Bubble.)

Also, bring a set of pliers, if those are allowed on airplanes. I can't tell you how many times I've used the pliers that I carry around with me everywhere.

4. cowgirl247

cowgirl247 Senior Member

you know, I think you're right. Now that I remember, my orthodontist said sugar-free gum is fine to chew. I've just been playing it safe and not chewing ANY gum...this is my 3rd time in braces because my teeth like to move so I want this to be the LAST time in braces!!!

5. cowgirl247

cowgirl247 Senior Member

good point :)

what about bug spray? I know that for the area in which my aunt lives, bugs will not be a problem, but I wonder about Mt. Rainier and the Olympic National Rainforest. We can always pick some up on our way there so I don't necessarily have to pack it.....but just wondered if it would be needed at all. Then again, bugs typically don't like to snack on me :)

6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

The weather has been pretty warm here for the past few weeks. I would make sure to take bug spray out hiking, since biting bugs are getting pretty bad. I wouldn't worry too much about it being nasty, but some cold weather clothing can't hurt, since it IS Washington we're talking about. Haha! How fun! I'm about 2 1/2 hours South of Seattle. :) Never hiked Mt. Rainier though, but I live within an hour from most of the Mt. St. Helens visitor centers.

7. cowgirl247

cowgirl247 Senior Member

thank you everyone for the tips!

one more question.....it has been a little while since I have flown anywhere, but just now I went online to check myself in for my flight and I was trying to check my luggage. I noticed there was a $20 fee (i'm just checking one bag). I thought if I checked myself in in person at the ticket counter I wouldn't have to pay, but that I would just have to pay if I checked myself in at the curb. Is that still true or is this some new rule at airports, that there is a checked baggage fee (I didn't think this was the case the last time I flew)??

8. Eugene Cassels

Eugene Cassels Senior Member+

One comment about the gum you do not have to chew anything you can just open your mouth wide or yawn and it is the same wheather your going up in a plane or going down as SCUBA diving it is to equalize the pressure on the ear drums.

9. slbose61

slbose61 Senior Member

Sunblock and a hat

10. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Sounds like a fun trip! We made a fair number of trips to Rainer over the years but most only a few times were in the summer. Rainer and the Olympics are both beautiful and well worth the trip:) Depending on how high up you plan on going on Mt Rainer it might be a bit colder but if I remember right this time of year it's often in the 70s in the areas that most people visit in the park. To my knowledge the weather has been decent around Seattle lately but in the Olympics summer showers are not uncommon so it's never a bad idea to be prepared;) But a hat and sunblock are also a good idea! Bugs love to bit me and I never really have had much of an issue with them up there but I'm sure it varies depending on location.

The checked bag fee varies depending on the airline. Some have no charge but nowadays many charge for bags.