I don't think my leg fits my horse? New pics page 7

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Shannon, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

At this point I think I'd rather ride bareback :eek:

My mare is rooooound. I'm having a horrible time keeping my foot/heel against/even close to her barrel and it's really throwing off my riding. I can ride her fine with one hole longer stirrups, but then I can barely get out of the saddle to post. Shorter stirrups...Yeah, not going there.

I can't seem to stay balanced on her at the trot because I can't keep my seat stable. It's putting a lot of pressure on my knees (I have very bad knees to put it lightly) to try to unnaturally keep my foot against her and obviously that's uncomfortable.

I'm shorter than my friends that ride her, by at least 4", and I think that is my problem-- my femur is shorter.

I drew this coarse picture in Photoshop...The circle is obviously the horse's barrel viewed from either the front or the back. The pink lines are my leg, though I don't think I made it look quite as extreme as it is. The green line is an example of someone else with a longer upper leg.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions? :eek: Yesterday I rode her bareback and while I don't think that will work long term (big trot!) we were a lot more balanced.

2. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Can we see a picture from the side and front or rear? A video of you on her trotting?

It may have something to do with your proportions, but it may also have everything to do with how tight your hip flexors are.

You can't fix the former, but you can fix the latter :)

In the meantime, try this - have someone ('cause it's easier) pick your limp leg off the saddle, pull it back and rotate the entire leg *from the hip* inward, and lay it back on the horse. This puts your inner thigh on the saddle, and makes your whole leg more effective :)

3. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Quickly...I'm actually getting cortisone shots in my hips next week :eek: I have two separate hip issues on top of my knee issues. Maybe it will be better after that?

4. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

Your saddle, stirrups, and stirrup length can also effect how your leg is on your horse. When you posted pictures/videos, let us know the brand, model, and size of saddle you're in and what kind of stirrups you use.

5. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

These pictures are all I've really got...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (^With one hole longer stirrups)
    [​IMG]
    (^Just to show her rooooundness!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (^Finally just dropped the stirrups after I shortened them...It was easier to post with no stirrups than with, and that's saying a LOT because my legs are not strong at all right now)
    [​IMG]

Feel free to tell me anything I'm doing wrong. I know I'm a cruddy rider and would appreciate any instructions :eek:

Saddle: 17" Barnsby Whitaker (no tree size marked)
    Stirrups: Plain ol' fillis irons. Those offset ones sure look appealing though. I've tried jointed ones and I did not like them at all.

6. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

In almost every photo I've ever seen of you riding (not just her), you've had very closed hip flexors. Her wideness is probably just making that problem more of a 'problem' for you. It could be directly related to whatever hip issues you have? I don't know.

7. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Hmm that could very well be the case. I've really had VERY minimal training throughout the years, no lessons in at least 5, and maybe one private lesson my whole life. For a couple years when I was a teenager I was taking weekly group lessons, but those aren't all that effective. You're more just paying to ride and jump their horse :eek: I can't say that anyone has ever mentioned anything about hip flexors/angles/etc.

I'm more than willing to take instruction, and will do what J suggested and try to pull my thigh out. Is there anything else I can do, to at least figure out if my hip issues *aren't* causing the problem??

This is my main hip ailment and what I am getting treated for:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/309286-overview

It IS on the outside of the joint/my hips and DOES affect my range of motion very much :eek:

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

I skimmed over that description. It does sound to me like that could/would cause issues like this.

(Btw, not trying to say you're not a good rider at all! Just something that I had noticed in your photos before.)

Shannon likes this.
  9. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Oh no, trust me, it's okay to tell me I'm no good-- I KNOW I'm not ;) I know you weren't trying to say that but I DID post this thread looking for help :) I'd love to not have to buy a new saddle or just have to deal with it if I want to ride this horse. If it's something as "simple" (hah!) as fixing my hip angle, or whatnot, I'll take it :)

I never pretended or claimed to be a good rider LOL. I'd rather just breed the horses and have my talented friends ride them for me!

I skimmed over this article, and my face is pretty similar to this :confused:

http://www.horsemagazine.com/CLINIC/W/weis/rider'sscale/suppleness/suppleness.html

10. missy'sbabydoll

missy'sbabydoll Senior Member

I am not sure what you can do with an english saddle, but in some western saddles I can't reach my mares side no matter what I do. I ended up going with a customized rope saddle that is thinner or cut back under the stirrup fenders.

not sure how to describe it though :(