I don't know what the future holds- Reintroduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by VanityVin, Jan 9, 2019.

1. VanityVin

VanityVin Registered

Ha...'rein'troduction. I promise that wasn't intentional until I noticed it.

So, I see that on my profile I've been here since 2014. It's been a while, especially since I didn't remember this site. So as I sit here trying to fill out the details and other 'fun stuff', I'm not actually sure why I came back. I haven't a proper lesson since the summer, finances are grim- I've been out of college since late spring, the job market here is fleeting, and with no money for a car it is also limited. But I suppose I came back here for horses in a way. Horses have been a double edged sword for me- a reminder of the few things that truly make me happy, and a reminder of how dang expensive they can be (especially here on the east coast).

I would like to believe that I've matured a bit however. It's easy to get wrapped up in taking things for granted. Since my join date of 2014, I've had many ups and downs. The environment of a show barn or any barn is not a place for jealousy, politics, or unwelcomeness...but ironically it seems that for the last four years, those are the faces that hang around the most- including mine at points. I was diagnosed with pdd recently - which would be written off as 'an invisible illness'. However, I've met great people despite some hardships, friends and trainers. I got to show and more often than not, I learned new things about horses that I might not have ever got the opportunity to beforehand.

So even though I'm not in the saddle, and haven't worked with horses in several months now, that's why I'm here. I don't know what the future holds, but I'm hoping this will be a good year.

Circle C, Cat Ballou and doublelranch like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

What is PDD an abbreviation for?

3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Pervasive developmental disorder and probably why only horses bring her so much happiness.
    @VanityVin , welcome back!

VanityVin likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh I know that's one thing it could stand for though I'm used to seeing it written PDD NOS (Not Otherwise specified). PDD was the old 'subthreshold' category for Autism. A friend got the diagnosis because he didn't quite meet the autism criteria back then.

But it also stands for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, and Proventricular Dilatation Disease, both of which could cause a person a lot of difficulty.

doublelranch likes this.
  5. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Very true. I just immediately thought of the first since I have experience with it. You could very well be right.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't like it, but PDD/NOS is not in the DSM-5, though people still use the term. It was sort of 'replaced' with 'Autism Spectrum Disorder.' Sort of.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum-!! :tiphat:

VanityVin likes this.
  8. VanityVin

VanityVin Registered

Hello all and thank you. PDD in my case would be persistent depressive disorder- I was unaware of another abbreviation. I have an underlying issue that's spectrum related but the biggest hurtle in my life is that depression. I'm not really in a healthy environment at home, so horses are my escape and my healing (with therapy too). Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the welcome backs.

LoveTrail and doublelranch like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Welcome! Horses are great medicine.

VanityVin likes this.