I can't help myself: Spin-off from another thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by manesntails, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Science is not my field, hence I don’t have a familiarity to provide you with uber-science reports that will sway you to my point of view.

That’s not my purpose in posting the articles anyway.

Even if I had the perfect science to prove to you (General you, not just you specifically) that God exists, you could still choose to deny it if that’s what you wanted. *shrug*

The point in my posting the articles is simply to show that “God doesn’t exist. He’s imaginary. Fake. Yadda yadda yadda” is not a foregone conclusion. And to promote curiosity in anyone who wants to dive into the research.

Anyone who wants to go down the rabbit hole and ask the questions, anyone who is open to finding our rather than stick to their current comfortable notion, is free to do so on their own. The conclusion they draw from their own research will be much stronger and better than, “Well, Arem posted this thing on a forum, and I decided to believe it.”

If you want to know the answer, seek it. If you think you already know, I cannot convince you with anything.

Rosie12 and Puddincup like this.
  2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation. It wasn't really clear what your purpose was because you just posted the links with no comment.

I totally agree that none of it is a foregone conclusion (see my post above, if you can handle my long-windedness). Everyone's opinion on it is just that - an opinion. I think - though I can't speak for anyone but myself- that anyone who is posting "god doesn't exist" as well as those who are posting "god does exist" are posting their opinions, rather than trying to state a fact.

It's an interesting discussion and, as I said, I'm really enjoying the thoughtful replies and civility in this thread.

ginster, Rosie12, Puddincup and 2 others like this.
  3. Rosie12

Rosie12 Senior Member

Interesting discussion.

Wrong place at wrong time. Crap happens. It sucks. It happens.

On the discussion, I'm partial to what Bellalou said. I mean, I believe in god, but I'm not going to hit anyone over the head with it. I also believe in energy, aura, and mother earth. My belief comes out of what I've experienced, supplemented with research. Of course, even with that, it's a bit of suspicious, cautious belief because man is flawed and biased. In my opinion, lol.

Although I feel I'm a bit late to the discussion, lol. Sounds like everyone's already said what they're going to say, soo... :whistle:

bellalou and manesntails like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Ooh I don't know, hang around, it's probably not done yet..

manesntails and Rosie12 like this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Good to see you back! How are you?

manesntails likes this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Rosie12 likes this.
  7. Rosie12

Rosie12 Senior Member

Arem likes this.
  8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I think it is incredibly comforting to believe that everything happens according to God's plan.
    It also absolves you of any kind of responsibility. You do not need to question whether you could've done anything different to prevent whatever misfortune befell you. Because no matter what you did, it would've happened anyway..
    I am not a spiritual person. But I am not completely sure that there isn't a higher power out there. It is not the God, Yahwe, Allah the big religions describe. Those are man-made idols (emphasis on "man" as women had nothing much to say) imo.
    I like the idea of energy that remains when our bodies die. Energy that can be used to grow something new. To stay around. Call it a soul, rebirth, whatever. Am I sure this is what happens? No.
    I am sadly not one of those who can remember a past life.
    I have a lot of problems with church doctrine. Especially the roman catholic one.
    So, to get back on topic: imo it was bad luck.
    Even if there is a higher power, I doubt that they would micro manage everyone and everything alive on all the planets in the galaxy..

9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Exactly. And that is a large part of why those beliefs continue. Even though, in my study, they are completely false.

ginster likes this.
  10. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

I'm very good:), how are u?

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.