I can't help myself: Spin-off from another thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by manesntails, Jul 8, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

God's will.

Alrighty now. You are walking through the woods after a few days of rain. It's cloudy and there's a little breeze, but you expect some thunderstorms to pop up here and there.

You walk along past tree after tree and as you pass by one tree, a slightly more significant breeze blows. You hear a creeking sound and look back over your shoulder to see a huge old tree coming towards you. With nowhere to run, nor not enough time to get out of the way, you are struck and killed by the tree.

Now, is this God's will?
    0r,
    Were you just at the wrong place, at the wrong time?

'Splain your decision and how your answer makes sense.

2. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

God's will. I believe in God and that He sees everything and knows exactly what's happening and when. So He knew that tree would fall and that you'd be under that tree. He could have stopped that series of events, but apparently it was your time to die. What do you think @manesntails?

GONE ROPING likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

It's not something you can really 'prove.' People simply believe in one or the other, or some circumstantial mix of both.

I believe in avoiding dangerous situations. One of the things hikers - and riders - can learn is to be on the lookout for diseased and dying trees and to stay out of forests where there are a lot of them. Bark loosens and cracks, leaves fall off, lichen proliferates, trees become unbalanced, they make cracking noises, often, before they fall. When a tree falls, it isn't necessarily so very unpredictable. Mostly.

A man goes to a holy man, who tells him, 'you are God, everything you see, is God.'

The guy goes off, thinking happily to himself, 'everything is God, I'm God.'

The next day, an elephant in town goes crazy, and stampedes down the street, knocking people down, stamping on them. As the elephant approaches, the man says, 'we are all God, you are God, I am God.' The elephant tramples him, breaking both his legs, both his arms, fracturing his skull, pelvis and many ribs.

Months later the guy gets out of the hospital. He limps back to the holy man and says, 'You're an idiot with that 'I am god, you're God' stuff. I thought that, and I got trampled by an elephant!'

The holy man looked at him quietly for a moment and said, 'Yes, we are all one, you are God, I'm God....but....why in the <bad word> didn't you get out of the elephant's way?'

As a holy man once told me, 'God is already worn out by protecting other stupid people, don't always count on His help!'

Tack Collector and manesntails like this.
  4. manesntails

I think you were at the wrong place at the wrong time and if you believe in god, you cannot say he is good and wants you to “prosper“ and then, in the next breath, he wants you dead and wants to INFLICT suffering all at the same time.

What does not make sense is not the truth. If God wishes to inflict suffering, then he is evil.

God is a figment of the immagination in those who never saw him in person on the Earth, and it was a case of mistaking Aliens for gods when our ancient ancestors saw them arrive in vehicles from outer space.

sunrisegurl146 likes this.
  5. manesntails

I can dig that story. :rofl:

I had an incident riding my Buckskin pony on the side of a wide cliff path, when I was kid. Off to the right and down an embankment, about an 80' drop, was a swampy, or seasonally swampy area, I should say, full of old growth trees.

We were just walking along, quiet morning in the woods and suddenly came an eerie cracking, creaking sound. It all happened in seconds, but as the creeking intensified and the tree crashed to the ground with a loud boom, it sent a shockwave through the ground and through my pony and I, both~!!

In unison, we perked up, spun around, and ...

Got the heck outta Dodge~!!:rofl:

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Wrong time, wrong place.
    Becuase the existence of a god is highly improbable, and the existence of a god that attends to people on an individual level as we have been taught is both improbable and illogical.

7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Simply put....I find it unbelievable that it is God's will that so many children die of cancer everyday. How evil.

Wrong place at the wrong time.

lucky_pine, Arem, Circle C and 2 others like this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I have no interest in God's will discussions. Ever lol.

OldGreyMare and manesntails like this.
  9. manesntails

Aw c'mon. You are rarely void of opinion.

Not trying to be pushy, though. :rofl:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Or this one. Two people are walking down the street. Each is happily married, has young kids, is kind to others, has friends who love them, and each is a devout follower of his religion.

A car jumps the curb, barely misses one but hits the other, who dies after a week of lingering suffering.

The guy who lives says, “God was with me!”

Why wasn’t God with the other guy?

“God” is man’s way of creating answers for thorny questions- why are we here? Where do we come from? Where do we go when we die?

God is a human construct.