I am a quitter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by emali06, Nov 29, 2017.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Hes home! He has been home almost a week now. I picked him up last wednesday. Definitely more to work with, still his silly self but he is listening now.

28684939_10215935935820068_6572776069786709150_n.jpg

bsaz, froglander, Serenity06 and 5 others like this.
  2. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Listening to your horse is so important, I got my OTSTB thinking he was my next show/event prospect and that went out the window real quick. He hates dressage and arenas but the only thing that he hates more than dressage and arenas is jumping, so we are trail riding/conditioning for our first Intro ride this fall. Not sure if "race brain" will be an issue for us, could be as he was very racy on the track and even his first year off the track, he retained a lot of "race brain". I'm honestly at the point where if Endurance isn't our thing (as I've been trying for years to get into Endurance) than we will eat up the trails. Beaux is one of those the longer he goes the better he goes, but race brain is something I have as a concern for actual competition.

Glad things are working out for you guys and definitely keep posting about how he retains, Beaux retains somethings and totally disregards others that he deems unimportant. He is such a loving goofy goober on the ground, but turns into a monster race horse the minute you put the foot in the stirrup. Gotta love these opinionated horses!

emali06, Serenity06, ginster and 2 others like this.
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Stayed over night with a friend so I could take two lessons with out trainer. Waylon was awesome. We had a lot of great progress. I love how much he LOVES it there. When I went to collect him on saturday afternoon, he threw his head up and ran down to the bottom of his paddock where his buddies were :) It is so exciting to make little successful steps towards our goal. I have a good feeling that this is where he belongs and he will be amazing!

I spent the rest of the time at Gold N Grand watching the open show, I knew a couple people showing reining and ranch trail, also WP. I love the show life. It definitely ignited that fire in me again.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I think this thread is an awesome example for people who balk at hearing “work with a trainer” or “take lessons” because they’ve been riding for years. I know you have been riding for a long time but sometimes a little help when you need it goes a longggg way toward being a happier pair with your horse!

mooselady and Serenity06 like this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I wish more people would seek another opinion. I live very rural, we have extremely limited access to decent trainers. Most people just DIY or say "I've worked with trainers my whole life so I picked up a little something". I worked with a trainer, but that doesn't make me a trainer! LOL I get some rude opinions about "sending" my horse away. Like I'm cheating some how.

lukesmom and froglander like this.