I am a quitter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by emali06, Nov 29, 2017.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

He is all of 14.1 LOL Little horse with a big personality. He does have the sweetest face.

mooselady, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

He had his teeth done today. I wasn't there obviously because its 4.5 hours away. I know I'm a small town girl but I've never seen this kind of mobile rig. Pretty neat!

Kind of disappointed with what the trainer had to say about him. Not because of her but because NOTHING sticks with this horse. She said he feels very green and is VERY wiggly. He is THE WIGGLIEST HORSE EVER. Always has been. I've had friends get on him briefly and they say he really difficult to ride because of all the balancing and leg work. Maybe this is why I've always had such trouble with him. Anyway...its only the second week...I'm praying for improvement otherwise I have no idea what to do with him. Clearly our last year of hard work didnt' sink in at all.

26828386_10156957760692564_2019116491_o.jpg

3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

On one hand I appreciate a trainer validating my thoughts on how difficult this horse really is. I've thought it was me this entire time. It also helps validate how much endurance has ruined all of our hard work.

On the other hand I'm just sad that I have such a huge mountain ahead of me still. I expected this horse to retain at least SOME of our hard work over the last year. Sadly that is not the case.

4. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Two weeks isn't very long. They need time to settle into their new environment and get used to a new rider. Arabs especially have their 'preferred human' so he may not be showing his best side yet. Have hope and don't be discouraged yet. It's still early days.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

No its just the way he is. He doesn't absorb anything at all, he never has. He doesn't have a preferred human or a best side lol He is totally relaxed and happy there.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

I went through this same exact thing this summer with Ace! We switched from barrel racing to Hunter Jumper. I specifically bred his mom for a barrel prospect, but he hated it and my back can’t take it anymore.

We are both now much happier!

7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

A good friend of mine who has her horse with the same trainer, was going down there yesterday to pick up her new horse (SOOOOOOOOOO want her new gelding. He is by CHIC PLEASE and looks EXACTLY like him :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: The feet and the bone!) Anyway, I hitched a ride and went with her and stopped by briefly to see my boy! A lesson or watching her ride him didn't work out but it was great to see him anyway. He was in a small paddock turn out. He seems SUPER relaxed and content. His energy was really good and the trainer was the first one to approach him, I had been a few moments behind to get my phone. He ran right up to the gate to greet her so I know she isn't treating him poorly because he was so happy to see her. He had hay in his paddock and hay in his stall when I brought him in from turn out. She said she pretty much keeps hay in front of him constantly since Arabians are so prone to stress. When I walked him back to his stall, there were tons of kids running around, a guy driving a quad behind us, a van passed us, dogs running by wearing colorful jackets. He never flinched and felt great in hand.

I feel a lot better about where we are going and his potential.

26231645_10215435621432521_4844212892728292841_n.jpg

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I think he takes after his QH side and barely knows his Arab side. Not retaining training can be a sign of a little brain damage from lack of oxygen at birth, or from being pushed when young and it causes them to try and block out what's being asked, then they don't retain it.

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

LOL I WISH he took after his stock horse side. Unfortunately the retaining issue is due to lack of focus which is a direct result of his insecurity.

Not sure about his birth details but he wasn't started until he was 5. Perhaps young for an Arabian but not young in the grand scheme of things.

10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I rode Waylon on friday, for the first time since November! He is SO different. SOFT and responsive, relaxed! Trainer showed me how she deals with his rediculousness lol and its actually effective! His topline is relaxed, his face is soft, he is moving and carrying himself efficiently. Riding him wasn't a struggle! It was just amazing. I am really excited to get him home and work with what we have now.

Attached Files:

lukesmom, Dream27, froglander and 6 others like this.