I am a quitter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by emali06, Nov 29, 2017.

1. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Good on you for putting your horse's happiness over your personal ambitions. There are a lot of people out there who don't, and they battle along with a horse that isn't interested in or enjoying the work. Horse riding is supposed to be FUN. If you aren't enjoying it, your horse probably isn't either. While it's normal to hit bumps in training where you have to push the horse through, there's a difference between a bump and a brick wall. If it's causing you and the horse no end of stress, then it's perfectly reasonable to reassess whether the horse is suitable for the job. It's much easier working with a willing partner than one who fights you every step of the way. Where is the joy in that?

You're lucky that you've discovered a new passion that your horse will actually enjoy. Usually you have to get a new horse when you switch disciplines, and selling your current horse can be heartbreaking. I recently returned to dressage after focusing on endurance for a few years, and selling the mare I bred for my endurance dreams was soul shattering. The silver lining is she has gone to a fabulous new home and is thoroughly enjoying her endurance career, so I don't feel the least bit guilty for selling her. She would've been miserable doing dressage, and realistically there's only so far you can go in dressage with an Ay-rab.

Your horse is still young with plenty of riding years left in him. You will have a blast in your new discipline, and both be happier for it. And you can still go for trail rides and camping trips if you start missing the trails! Sometimes quitting is the right thing to do and it's always good to reassess your goals every year or so to make sure it's what you still want.

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Waylon is an Ay-rab LOL I do believe he will be much more successful in CD and we will both have more fun. I like your metaphor about a bump and a brick wall. We have definitely been at this brick wall for a long time. Too long!

Serenity06 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

There is an amazing support system in Northern California for WD and CD. Rancho Murrieta where the CD World Gathering and Finals is held is only a few hours from me. The people that created CD (Eitan and Debbie) are nearby too. Tons of great clinics available.

Serenity06, Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Well its official, Waylon is heading out for training in January. A good friend of mine has a horse with her for training and had her other two at this place for training with a different trainer. I've met the trainer a few times over the last 2 years. I've been to the facility twice and have met some of the other trainers at this facility. I feel good knowing hes not going with strangers. My sister is hauling her horse to her reining trainer at the same time and the facilities are in the same general area of California so we can trailer pool :D It aint cheap but I'm excited to make it happen. Waylon and I haven't ridden since september due to my illness so 60 days will get us set up for success this year. I'm planning to go to the local schooling shows for experience and we are also organizing a two series "Ranch Versatility, Reining, Cowboy Dressage" show. We will enter that. I'd like to go to some clinics for CD this year. Keep it low key, no expectations, just a lot of flat work!

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  5. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Full Member

I had an Appendix (my first horse, I got him for Christmas when I was 10). I spent many years trying everything to make him into a jumper. Trainers said he had the talent for it, but eventually we hit a brick wall. It wasn't fun for either of us. I finally met a trainer who put it bluntly for me: sell him and find another, more suitable horse, or change disciplines. Since selling him was NOT an option (he was my best friend), I decided to dabble in dressage. Best decision I ever made! Had you ever told my 10 year old self I would enjoy dressage I would have laughed in your face. But I found my passion! He was a very hard working, studious horse and he took to it like a fish to water. I had quite a few people tell me since he was a more Quarter Horsey Appendix, that we would never get far. That horse never had a no in him for me and we ended up showing at second level and schooling third before his health issues and age forced his retirement. We had a BLAST. BEST decision I have ever made was to try something new for a horse that I loved dearly.

Moral of the story, good luck in your new endeavor and kudos for you realizing that what you guys were doing wasn't working! I can't wait to hear updates

6. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

I'm happy you found something new to pursue with your horse. I really wish I had the cash to buy that Pandora saddle... it is no fun being broke!

My endurance plans are on hold as well, actually all equestrian goals are. Looking forward to new updates and photos!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

It already sold! Not surprisingly. Pandoras have the most amazing resale value.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Dropped Waylon off on friday. I am so excited for him to be in work with a trainer. I can't wait to get him back but I'm happy to have him gone during the worst of winter. Then we can jump into "show season" and dabble a bit. I guess there is a big CD show in April. She asked if I wanted to attend and I laughed and said "You ride him and then let me know what you think" :ROFLMAO:

Waylon has also never lived in a stall LOL. I'm sure he will be fine. He drank water within 5 minutes of being put in his stall. There is no run but he has a rear door that he can stick his head out of and watch things (see photo). 26055673_10215297755505959_9117244444008663520_n.jpg

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Update from the trainer and my friend who went to drop off another horse for training there. Trainer says she is working on establishing a connection with him. Not surprisingly he is hard to keep focused. That has really been a big issue for us for all these years. My friend says he is SUPER relaxed and totally chilled out in his stall. He has never lived in a stall before but I'm starting to believe that is what he needs! He must feel more secure (another issue we have is insecurity). This photo is from wednesday. 26166219_10215343774536406_3145765210550777735_n.jpg

10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Are those tall stall doors or is he more of a hony? He looks so tiny....and stinking cute.
    Gotta love those big chocolate arab eyes...

GONE ROPING likes this.