I am a quitter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by emali06, Nov 29, 2017.

1. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I think it is much more difficult to realize that the horse just isn't meant to do that very thing you wanted to do with it. So many people would continue pushing the horse making the entire situation worse and worse. Then they would blame the horse when things come to a head. I commend you on thinking of the horse and putting him first. Not to mention, you seem like you've already found a niche for him that you can both really enjoy.

manesntails and emali06 like this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Congrats on a decision that will be beneficial for the horse and yourself, too.
    I wouldn´t call that quitting. You are not forcing your horse to continue in a discipline he isn´t made for. I call that good horse(wo)manship.
    Have fun with WD!

3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I wish I realized it sooner! I've wasted a lot of time.

He IS pretty dang good at cruising down the trail, its just his mind that won't improve. I've took a year off and took him camping and to all sorts of chaotic things which he would be perfect for. Then we try endurance again and he can't recover because hes too worried about what everyone else is doing and I have to fight him the entire time. Its just not worth it to me to torture ourselves anymore.

Thanks!

I LOVE WD. Its what I've been working on for the last year. Our club is building our own ring to practice in.

I think that is the most difficult thing to get past. HE LOVES ENDURANCE. He loves it TOO much and blows his brains the entire time. I'm just so done with trying to make him be calm about it.

I had a hard time making this decision because of all the bugs in my ears about how he will improve, etc etc. I just need to keep taking him out and he will learn. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to risk blowing up my horse to see if he might improve. I took him to a poker ride a couple weeks ago and he couldn't do it. He thought it was an endurance ride. He was rearing, and bucking. That really solidified the thought in my mind that we need to never go back to endurance again.

I couldn't sell Waylon. Hes too much a pet and I know he will excel in other things...hopefully :D

Exactly. I want to enjoy him and endurance was not enjoyable because when we got home, he was a maniac with no buttons.

See that is NOT the kind of endurance horse I want. He is a fire breathing dragon during endurance rides, even in camp he wants to stare at everyone instead of eating lol

I want him to be versatile and fun at home but I can't have both in him.

Yep!

I think we will have a lot of fun in WD. There is a lot of local support in northern california, great clinics, and shows.

Thank you! He wishes I would let him roar down the trail still lol

froglander, Binca, endurgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. heartland

heartland Senior Member

Good for you!

I wish I had quit on my “dreams” at the time, and not on my horses.

When you (me) are “young” and easily influenced by your trainers (this happened to me more than once), it’s easier to say goodbye to the horse than it is to your current program. When all those trainers wanted was to have me ride/lease/train/buy their horses. There are a few I wish I could give another go, and do better by. One that I wish every day I could buy back.

Waylon is a lucky boy to have you looking out for his interests as well as your own :)

ginster likes this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I'm a dork. I always say WD but what I am actually diving into is Cowboy Dressage which is much different but also very similar.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    mooselady and froglander like this.
  6. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Please don't beat yourself up for "wasting time." Discovering what's truly best for you and your horse was time well spent. Plus, I'm sure you developed some skills in the process. :)

7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I am trying to not thinking about it. We have had a lot of fun. He is only 9 (Just turned 9 in November) so we have many years! Fingers crossed for continued good health and longevity. He has never been lame, our only issue has been back soreness (due to his tendency to ride hollow. It has not been an issue since the dressage training. He also use to grind his teeth but body work put a stop to that almost instantly.

I'm excited! I contacted a great trainer and will hopefully be shipping him out in 2018 for a couple months.

Ms_Pigeon likes this.
  8. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the others who said you are not a quitter. I'd say you are open-minded. Glad you have found another discipline that works well for the both of you :)

mooselady likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I do know quitters. Especially in dressage. My comments here address that, not emalia's situation.

Some folks I talk to, who are more plugged into student/client populations, are of the opinion that MOST people quit dressage, usually about 2nd level. And they say that's because that's the point at which they can't just continue to fake it, they gotta make it(create real suppleness, collection). And that's difficult.

It's not just difficult. It's not like many riding sports where a person can take lessons for a year or two and pretty much get it, then maybe go to a clinic once every couple years. So it's expensive because learning continues. And it's difficult. Dressage keeps getting harder each year(if the person moves up), and moving up is hard, and a lot of instruction is needed, a person's responses need to happen quicker and quicker (and more and more by feel and habit, and less and less by 'thinking about it.' ). And the rider needs to get fitter(physically and mentally - especially in emotional control and self-discipline).

That is, however, pretty typical of the sports like eventing, combined driving, dressage and show jumping. These sports just are not for everyone.

For me, the difference between a quitter and a person who is 'appropriately redirected to something more...appropriate'(for the horse , rider or the budget!) is often about whether the horse really was a bad fit or just needed more time and training(and if the owner can or can't afford to bring in a pro to help with things he has trouble doing).

I recall long ago a friend was an internationally medalled rider in dressage, and I asked her if she wanted some farm eggs. She thought carefully and said, 'Yes, I can have one egg, well, an egg white....' and I just laughed, because not many people would want to be so meticulous about their diet, their exercise, their routine, their schedule or.... their riding. But for her to succeed at the level she did, to achieve what she did...she had to be meticulous about many things and put forth a great deal of effort and self-discipline. And that just isn't for everyone. And I'm fine with that if the person can be honest about it.

Back to emalia - I don't think it's any fun trying to bring along a horse that just isn't settling into the work and doesn't seem to make any progress. After a while one just starts to want to see some sort of result from all the work put in.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

LOL, yes VERY different, but also some similarities....I have a friend who is having a real blast with Cowboy Dressage....