I am a quitter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by emali06, Nov 29, 2017.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I recently made the decision to stop pursuing endurance with my horse Waylon. This took a lot of time for me to process but I feel that my final choice is the most beneficial for him and for us. I just want to organize my feelings and hopefully inspire others to do what is right when it is not always what you want to do.

Going back to when I first got him, Endurance was MY DREAM, MY GOAL. I got him specifically for this discipline, I had no other plans in mind. Now 4 years later, I'm selling all my endurance related tack and I will never bring him to another endurance ride again.

Why? A few reasons but I will talk about the most important.
    I do NOT appreciate what it is doing to his mind. Every endurance person says "Oh he will get better". I don't believe that is going to be the case with him. He gets WORSE and our home life suffers. I'm not blaming endurance for this. I know he has his own struggles that we deal with. My point is that endurance is simply not a benefit for him nor is it ever going to be. It is what I want to do but he is not the horse no matter how much I want him to be. I am DONE making him suffer and ruining our relationship and hard earned training. I am DONE forcing him to be what I want him to be.

Another reason is that I have other goals. Over the years I have fallen in love with Western Dressage. I love the atmosphere of the discipline. People are friendly and relaxed. They don't care if you ride a mule or a fancy stock horse. It is uplifting and fun! Waylon needs this kind of discipline. He needs to relax, we need to have fun. I want to deepen his training and build an incredible relationship with this horse that I have so far been unable to maintain due to my own selfish endurance goals. I want to be able to go camping with a group of friends and actually ENJOY the trail riding. I want to take him in a schooling show and know that his buttons will be there when I need him and that last weeks endurance ride didn't take them away.

My health issues are another reason but I don't need to go into detail. Basically I need to chill out and take care of myself, not run myself ragged during summer and fall.

I even have all my endurance tack for sale. I will of course love to still participate in endurance in the future but never with this horse.

Anyway, I'm a quitter and glad to be one! I can't wait to see my horse blossom into what I've always wished for. I know he has it in him because I've felt it. We get so much work in but I stupidly take him back to an endurance ride and ruin him again. I'm done! No more. It feels good to be a quitter.

I can't wait to see how far we go. Waylon recently turned 9 years old on November 26th. He is in his prime and we are going to have a great time.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You're not a Quitter, you are a Realist. You realize when it's not working and make adjustments accordingly.

:bow::bow::bow:

rhinebeck, Binca, CowCatcher and 23 others like this.
  3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I think to realize this and change your gears instead of insistently trying to change his and maybe ruin his attitude and mind, does not make you a quitter. It makes you an Equestrian. You realize/d what your horse is good at, and capable of, and more importantly Not, and are putting the best interest and ability of the horse ahead of, what you called your "own selfish desires."
    Bravo, pat-pat! :applaud:
    May you have a lot of fun experiences and years together, doing what you both like.

Binca, emali06, LoveTrail and 4 others like this.
  4. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member

Good for you!!:tiphat:

emali06 likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You are NOT a quitter, and welcome to the dark side!

The WD people here are also lovely welcoming people, and not at all worried about tack or expensive turn out.

Good luck in your new adventure, hope you both keep having a blast and growing with each other.

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

What she said!! The horse usually tells you what it wants to do for a "job" and you listened. That is commendable, I wish more horse folks listened like you did.

Dream27, manesntails, ginster and 6 others like this.
  7. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

I totally agree with what manes is saying. I bought a Arab/Saddlebred with the intentions of making her into a Saddle Seat horse, but in the end it just was not suitable work for her. I had to decide whether I wanted to pursue Saddle Seat or stick with my horse and move her in a different direction... which I did for a year before deciding my heart was in Saddle Seat. Now that mare has gone to a home where she will be used for what she does best.

Asking a horse to continue doing work that they are not suitable for, either physically or mentally, is one of the cruelest things you can do. Good for you for recognizing the signs and making a decision that is best for you horse.

manesntails and emali06 like this.
  8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Endurance sounds great. But it' definitely not for everyone.

Enjoy your horse. That is the most important part of having one.

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

That's not being a quitter!! That's finding something enjoyable to do together.

Endurance is not for everyone nor for every horse. I've ridden many endurance rides on several horses and they can be maniacs. I've seen many crazy horses, with the riders barely hanging on until the horse settles to rideable.

It's fun learning a new sport!!!

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ditto on that sentiment. Move on to something more beneficial to him and problem solved. ;)

manesntails and emali06 like this.