"Husband" Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JinxedDream, Jul 16, 2017.

1. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Your in a good area for older broke horses. Do not get something that is a problem horse, i have found ex kid horses are either great or burnt out.

Basically just look for something that is broke, sound and has a good mind. Gus is around 16.3 and SO fits good on him, draft crosses are always a good choice because many have a good mind. If he can find something stocky he can probably get away with one that is 15 hands or so and feel comfortable.

And if you find something out this way me and SO can go look at it for yoy guys

magoo320mj and JinxedDream like this.
  2. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I did a quick search of your area because I'm bored--I saw a couple potential horses. One was a Spotted Saddle Horse mare; 12 years old and ridden by the owners 13 year old daughter. Not sure about your budget though. You mentioned needing to save up some more and she's $5500. I could send you the ad though, she's on kijiji.

3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I'd still look at STBs.

Charlie trailered out to his first real trail today. This is...ride number five?

He was calm, relaxed, and totally into it. He lead the way, crossed funny colored changes in the road, stepped over logs, and rode like a well broke horse. Because...they are well broke horses. He was a little jazzed for the first couple of rides, but has done really well. You put ten rides on the STB, and I bet hubs would be just fine. Might want to teach him a one rein stop just in case.

JinxedDream likes this.
  5. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

Oh, I like!
    I grew up with Carson's in my backyard. Used to be a good place to buy a horse, these days its a bit risky, not a lot of good stock showing up anymore. If there is something decent in the catalog, I have a friend that works there that can probably pick one out if need be. But that's a 7 hour trailer ride for the horse.

Current budget is roughly $2000. Low, I know, but obviously, still going to keep saving.

@CabterCrazy Ha, there's next to no horses for sale here. I've been looking towards North Bay, etc since those are usually discounted due to location and actually not as far for me. Plus I know a trucker. We actually just bought a ram from Sask, $50 to ship him out here. Something tells me a horse is going to cost a lot more and be more difficult.

6. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Cost to ship a horse will be arou d 700, if you can get as a filler it would be cheaper

JinxedDream likes this.
  7. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Were it me... I'd be looking for something with some Percheron in it. Our best dude horses in the mountains were Percheron/QH crosses. Fun for me, good for the dudes as well. My old Big guy was pretty cowy too

Breezah and JinxedDream like this.
  8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

My first thought was a draft cross.

Breezah likes this.
  9. BeavisKali2

BeavisKali2 Full Member

Where are you? I'm in Ontario as well and know a ton of really nice sane ranch horses/ trail horses.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I wouldn't buy him a Stb and those are my expertise.
    Get him a wide horse, 15h+ Wide barrelled horses take up plenty of leg. Something cowey, got come cutting lines in. Appendix or Qh cross.

Alsosusieq2, Breezah and mooselady like this.