Hunter headset help??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Anna Giuda, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

But you can do that with a correctly dressage trained horse.

It's not the main purpose of dressage training but being able to do a relaxed long and low with engaged hind legs and correct contact is at the walk part of dressage tests and of course you can also do it at the trot and canter (no, you should not ride your horse like that all the time)

A lot of people use either pressure and release games with their reins or gimmicks like draw reins to teach the horse to assume a specific head positon that has nothing to do with what the rest of the body does or if the horse is relaxed or not. It's basically bullying a horse into that head position. It's basically like slapping your kid if it's not at home at 8.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Why would I ruin the training of a good dressage horse?

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Actually I like just fine how the horse looks. He looks very comfortable. The trot photo is at the wrong phase of the stride to prove for sure how far forward he reaches with his hind legs when he trots, but if he's not reaching enough, that's usually easy to fix.

But I look at him as a dressage prospect, and I don't do those English rail classes. In other words, does he reach for the bit and accept the bit/rein contact, which he does. If he was dropping the bit ('head set') I wouldn't want to spend the year or two it takes to get him back to reaching for the bit. If he's stiff in the neck and not bending appropriately, that's far easier to fix than the 'head set horse'. If he's on the forehand, again, easy to fix.

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

In dressage the expectation that the horse is in the bit with the poll being the highest point... In the stretchy walk/trot they are asked to show that they will lower and stretch to the bit.....this shows that the horse is adjustable and is searching for contact with the bit.

As someone who actually has horses showing in dressage and in rail classes as well as Dressage I,see a lot of false farmes, and horses that are under the bit....this is no more desirable in a rail class than it is in dressage.... It is often seen because the youth or amature rider has not yet learned how to keep the horse round and moving forward properly. We show the horses In a hunter rail class just as we would in dressage going forward onto the bit.

In rhis case getting a saddle that fits and the rider learning to keep the horse coming from behind will greatly improve her placing not only in pleasure but also in equitation because it's a lot easier to post on a forward moving horse. In both pictures the horse is strung out hollow and not driving forward with the hind leg. Heavy on the forehand.... This is,going to be a nice looking horse once he is packaged correctly.

ginster, AmyK and slc like this.
  5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Well,
    Here it is.Please stop trying to have your horse perform in any classes until you and a trainer have figured out what his kinks are.
    He looks so imbalanced, his wide stand in front and back tells me he is hurting.
    Mainly,if someone asks what it should look like rather than what it should feel like,tells me you have no idea about your horse and how to be a horseman.
    Start spending money on dressage lesson to learn the feel and how to balance your horse.
    Believe me once you have figured that out your horse's " headset" will happen by itself.
    And it will help to prevent life changing injuries to your horse.
    Isn't that what we all want? A sane and sound horse?

6. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Full Member

@RG NIGHT HEIR
    Just to point something out quickly, he has a wide chest (aka base wide) which gives him a wide placement. I DO know my horse well, and I am a good horse person. I also do know the feel of my horse better than most through the internet could. I do appreciate the concern on him being in pain, but the many instructors I have had come out since those pictures were taken (they are slightly old) have never once mentioned that he looks to be in pain. I do thank you for your concern though. Also, thank you for the tip about getting a dressage instructor out to help me work on balancing him, as I have always struggled with that on him. Thank you

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I havent actively showed for a few years, So may be a lil out of the loop on current trends. But I had to put a headset on my then-upright english horse, without cheating and using a tiedown/ martingale (personal pride and he Hated tiedowns.) One thing my mentor said was Useful, and displayed in your pics as well.. "Head will follow the hands." In your pics look at the relation of head to hands, raised hands/ upright head. Or both are lower, as in 2nd pic.
    I was going for an extreme reduction, a western headset, and trained 2-handed with hands below the withers. It worked; he got it. The headset was a lil araby/cresty, but he was part arab so had a viable excuse.
    In eq college there was a Lot of 2 handed riding to get a headset. And they taught us to cue, then tap the horse high on neck/ poll if it didnt respond. There is a chance of spooking horse doing that tap tho, because the cannot see it coming. I rode an anxious spooker and added a finger snap partway up the neck before he got tapped, because hed Startle. He learned to drop his head at the due and finger snap, because he didnot like the tap part. Which was admittedly, and declared by a former rider whod had him "Cool!" :cool:
    Ride the headset training part as its own dedicated exercise, separate from doing anything else. Set, hold, release, reward, reset. Accept small increments and brief holds as success, and slowly work on getting the hold lower and longer, til it becomes routine. Once the horse realizes/ learns where his head should be, you can work on slowly getting your hands up, to withers & crest release etc without horse's head doing a Poptart motion in response. Takes a while, but just be patient, itll work.