Hunter headset help??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Anna Giuda, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Registered

I need some help from some of the hunter riders on here! My ottb is shifting down this season due to an injury (he's been off work for a month) but he will be coming back into work soon. We have tried to make it in the hunter world, and I know my EQ is stopping that, but he also isn't the most attractive hunter either. I need some help figuring out what his headset should look like, as nothing seems to look attractive on him. Anyone have any suggestions? (Pictures linked below) and how I can work with him to carry his head like that? Thanks!! (Sorry for watermarks)
    IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0239.jpg

2. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

Are you doing actual hunter shows or are you doing HUS classes at open shows?

I ask because it does make a difference.

3. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Registered

@Trubandloki
    I am doing both. My main priority are the shows with 4-H (not the most proper but we still never place well), but I do plan on doing actual hunter shows as well.

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Is that your horse in the photos? or one you want yours to look like?

5. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

My experience (and it can be different in other areas I am sure) is open shows and 4H shows are typical judged by people who are more accustomed to stock horse breed showing. That means you will need move more like that type of horse to place well.

6. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Registered

@Lopinslow
    That is my horse, just to give you an idea of what his neck looks like (it is not the most attractive when on the bit as it is attached low to his withers)

7. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Registered

@Trubandloki
    What does the normal placing stock horse generally look like (their headset, movement, etc.)?

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

for stock type hunter under saddle, you want their neck level with the withers and hung out there relaxed. my avatar is my mare as a 3yr old. you want that type of profile

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Your horse has the conformation that he has...the best way to help him look his best is to get Him to him to come form behind and get round and to stay on the bit.

Arem, bellalou and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  10. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

He looks a little tense overall Like he's just not totally accepting he bit. You also posted in another thread about improving your position. I think you really should try to get some lessons, those two things are not independent of each other. Especially if your hands are not steady/quiet, he's not going to relax and lower his head.