1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Hunt Seat vs English

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by HurricaneKatt, Jul 30, 2010.

  1. HurricaneKatt

    HurricaneKatt Senior Member

    Jul 28, 2010
    Likes Received:
    What is the real difference between riding Hunt Seat and riding English? I have ridden Hunt, English, and Western. I didn't really know much about the different types when I was doing the different types of riding. I do know that Hunt Seat was, without a doubt, my favorite. I felt I had more control of the horse and a better seat the one time I rode Hunt Seat. Any idea why that may have been?

    What are the differences between the two in saddle types, and in riding style? Thanks!
  2. PinkHorse

    PinkHorse Senior Member+

    Sep 7, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Tough question to answer without getting too wordy. Just as there are multiple disciplines within the broad definition of english riding (field hunting, show jumping, eventing, dressage, show hunter, etc...) there are just as many disciplines that fall into the category of western riding (western pleasure, gaming, cutting, reining, etc...).

    Regardless of the type of saddle or the discipline, basic good riding, horsemanship and training should be the same. We all want our horses working correctly off their hind ends rather than the forehand and light & responsive to our aids. We all want a basic body position that puts our centre of gravity on top of that of the horse and allows us to communicate effectively with the horse.
  3. Chardonnay

    Chardonnay Senior Member+

    Mar 6, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I refer to hunt seat as hunt. To me english means saddleseat, hunt means any other type of english riding. I guess thats kinda weird, but its how I think of things.
  4. Martini!

    Martini! Senior Member

    Aug 30, 2006
    Likes Received:
    That is quite odd, when I think of English, Saddleseat doesn't even cross my mind! Lol.

    Hunt Seat is a type of English riding, however, I will say that there are different types of "hunt seat" as well, depending on where and what you're riding. Hunt Seat with the stock horse breeds is quite different than when connected to the hunter/jumper world.
  5. getupasb

    getupasb Senior Member+

    Jun 17, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I ride saddleseat. When I say English, I mean huntseat. Which to me, huntseat includes actual hunt... but also jumping, dressage, etc.

    Saddleseat to me is a different category, I do not refer to it as English.

    Then, there's all the western stuff.

    English is the broad spectrum of english riding, which should include anything with english tack, in my opinion. That's dressage, hunt, jumping, cross country, etc. But, saddleseat is english tack, but a completely different style. The only time I refer to saddleseat as "english" is when a non-horse person asks me what type of riding I do.
  6. N. Divina

    N. Divina Senior Member

    Feb 10, 2009
    Likes Received:
    ENGLISH: is a general term for any saddle of light weight and close contact to the horse. Because saddles came from the "English" so-called the saddles.

    Hunt, Saddleseat, and Dressage are simply catagories to English, but are all kept under a similar thread that makes them all "English" saddles. Their lightweightness and close contoures to the horse, thin leathers, and thin stirrups make them each similar yet, different; much like children.

    Hope this helps.
  7. Chevmama

    Chevmama Senior Member+

    Mar 6, 2006
    Likes Received:
    We'd have to know how the OP defines hunt and english before a real explanation to her question can be forthcoming.
  8. windblown

    windblown Senior Member

    Jun 22, 2004
    Likes Received:
    LOL. For me, it's simple. Hunt seat is hunt, and saddleseat is English/Country/Park. Dressage is dressage, sport horse is sport horse, etc. English is used as the term for saddleseat in Arabs, though I really don't know why, lol. It's too general, but hey, whatever, haha. I just know when I say I want an English horse, I mean a saddleseat horse FOR English Pleasure :)
  9. lover

    lover Senior Member+

    Oct 27, 2006
    Likes Received:
    THe true definition of Hunt Seat is the sport of horse and rider preforming their form/skills on the flat(obviously with out jumps). Typically a hunt seat class asks the rider to w/t/c all with great equitation, their horses having light contact with the bit. Often the rider is asked to drop their stirrups.

    In Hunt Seat jumping classes it's the same execpt over obsticles and the jumps typically don't exceed 3'9". Although the horse is not judged, the rider does need a good mount because the rider is judged on how they handle their horse and if the horse is bucking then you won't exactly have great equitation. :wink: The Mclay Finals are the percect example of what Hunt Seat is.
  10. MonteStrides

    MonteStrides Senior Member

    May 26, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Honestly, When I think of english I think of dressage, hunter/jumpers. The real english bred horses like thoroughbreds, warmbloods, welshes, etc.

    When I think of 'hunt seat' I think of western pleasure horses being attempted to be ridden under an english saddle.

    When I hear the terms, I think of them as different things. Although technically 'hunt' is the seat you ride in hunter/jumpers and such.

Share This Page