1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Humane Society In Ohio Can't Afford To Remove Starving Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Limmerick, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Limmerick

Limmerick Senior Member

perhaps those rescues were contacted...or maybe they only contacted the ones up in the Toledo area. I did send this link to Victoria at LCC (which is a good 4-5 hours away from these horses). I used to volunteer there. The rescues also may be full up...or not have the means to provide at this time for these animals.

2. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

The sad truth is that there are so many people neglecting their animals that there aren't enough people to help. The neglect cases are increasing but the number of people willing, or able, to help out are decreasing.

Let this be a lesson to those who keep breeding. This is what happens when times are tough and there are too many animals.

3. BroncEars

BroncEars Senior Member

if i had a trailer id totally offer. even though i live 6 hours away.
    if i had my own barn i definitely take some if i had room, feed, etc.

:no: feel so bad that i cant help

4. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

It's sad when numerous rescues, throughout an entire state cannot help. I didn't see on any of those sites where it said they were full. I'm sure there are others that are listed. Perhaps someone in one of their offices could be a designated coordinator for these situations across the state.

5. lbhugg

lbhugg Senior Member

The Toledo Humane Society is a total joke they rarely remove horses unless there is one dead in the pasture.

6. PaintedFate

PaintedFate Senior Member

All of the equine rescues are jammed packed facts are that when rescuing a horse it is in no way like taking in a dog or cat there just isnt enough money, hands or time to save all of them :[ and Around here in Ohio it happens a lot.

7. Sunrisepony

Sunrisepony Senior Member+

@ Limmerick

Forward this information to the ASPCA or PETA (they might ocassionally be ******** but they will help when no one else will ) and they will atleast help the horses.

8. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

You mean PETA.... the biggest dog and cat killer organization in the country?

9. flattrackbaby

flattrackbaby Full Member

Unfortunately, this is not something that is going to stop any time soon what with the economy like it is. Some rescues have actually been in trouble for starving horses. One was in WV if I recall correctly-their funding dried up and they could not afford to care for the horses they took in. They had good intentions, but they could not manage, and no one would take the horses. The humane society wouldn't (couldn't) help and the owners of the 'rescue' were prosecuted.
    Truth is, there are a TON of unwanted horses that are starving in people's back yards all over the US, not just in Ohio. I know a girl that does rescue, and she is in over her head as well.
    Unfortunately, some horses that are in 'rescue' need to be 'rescued' yet again due to the economy and lack of funding to support their care. Therefore when a case like this comes up, there isn't anywhere to go with the horses. At least the rescues I know of are turning horses away, because they cannot FEED anymore than what they currently have.

10. Sunrisepony

Sunrisepony Senior Member+

I said they're not perfect, AND recomended ASPCA *FIRST*