1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Humane pet safe way to kill mice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by foureyed_dragon, Sep 30, 2012.

1. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member

I have heard enough sticky trap stories to not want to go that route, plus I am worried that I would come home to find my cat with one stuck to a paw, or his face... I am also concerned that if I put down snap traps that my cat or dog would get caught in one.

2. Joan Cowin

Joan Cowin Senior Member

I've lost livestock and had a very bad contamination due to them so I don't have a soft spot for them.

3. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I put them in drawers and behind appliances where the cats/dogs can't get to them.

4. AshsStorm

AshsStorm Senior Member+

I highly doubt the mice had a person vendetta against your livestock. I don't understand why you would choose such an inhumane method to get rid of them. I doubt it is the most efficient either.

5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Some people don't hold the same value of life on all beings. Sentient or otherwise.

I personally couldn't bear the thought of putting any animal through that sort of pain when there are much more humane methods out there.

Sadly, a pest is seen as a pest by some with no regard for the pain and fear that animal experiences.

1 person likes this.
  6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Raise snakes.;)
    Years ago a petstore owner had a mouse (wild) he really wanted to be rid of, and I suggested turning a snake loose. He thought that was great, except he wanted the snake back after. But they really can find & follow the mice wherever they are, and leave no messy residue. When the mice are gone, the snake will leave. Theoretically.

7. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member

ugh, I would rather have mice than snakes!!!!!! :eek:

I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Every time I heard my cat pounce on something I would come back to full awakeness and wait to hear the squeaking of a mouse. Thankfully he didn't catch any more.

8. olddiddlediddle

olddiddlediddle Senior Member

Everything is pretty much horrible if its not an instant kill, the sticky pads, poision its horrible, when I think about it I can cry we had a mouse dieing on the grass from poison and it was wiping its mouth with a little fist cause it was bleeding from its mouth!:bawling: I did have a big mouse problem in my rabbit house so we just used regular traps with pb or mince meat they all eventually got caught and then I got a electric one the mouse goes into the battery powered black box to get the bait on the other side and as it walks in it gets zapped, best trap, instant kill, no suffering, to dispose flip open the lid and throw away the mouse. We have had a few incidents with the snap traps that it gets a leg or something and the mouse is dragging it around = horrible.

9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Snap traps. Those clothespin shaped ones really s.uck! I had a mouse that refused to die, and he could get the bait off that clothespin shaped one like no ones business. Finally got tired of being woken up by a mouse, so I got a snap trap. He didn't last a day. I win.

10. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

I have gotten live feeder mouse and did the whole baking soda and vinager in a small coffee can or tupperware bowl with lid to suffocate them.. (I don't feed live mice to snake for health issues of the snake)