Humane pet safe way to kill mice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by foureyed_dragon, Sep 30, 2012.

1. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member+

My cat proved himself to be a very fierce hunter today, however the mouse he caught was INSIDE of my house. UGH!

My BF wants me to get stick pads, but that just sounds so inhumane. Is there a way to kill the mice that will also not be harmful to my pets?

2. LaredoTomato

LaredoTomato Senior Member

They make traps now that are in a hockey puck shaped box with one opening so it only triggers if something goes inside. Then u dont have to see or touch it either.

3. MissApril

MissApril Senior Member+

We have used the sticky thing once when we had a mouse in our garage. We got cats after that and haven't had a problem. I would just let you BF take care of it if one got on there. I am not sure what my husband did with it and I like it that way. I do feel bad for them, but when they are getting inside is where I draw the line.

4. LaredoTomato

LaredoTomato Senior Member

I cannot stand those sticky things. They always got stuck to my cat and my clothes and they leave a sticky residue. I came across one at my parents house that had a mouse still stuck to it alive. It's paws and face were bleeding from trying to get away :( so I unstuck it and set it free in the bushes lol.

5. Abberlaze

Abberlaze Senior Member+

The sticky traps are relatively humane IF (and this is a big IF) you check them at least daily and are ready to kill the animal stuck on there. They are relatively safe for houses with pets because they don't usually contain ingredients to kill the mice (check on this with the ones you buy. don't take my word for it!). It is totally inhumane to set them down and check weekly or monthly. The mice should not be starved to death.

6. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member+

The pads are inhumane. I use regular mouse traps (I like the ones that resemble a HUGE plastic clothes pin) and just put them where the cats can't get to them (behind the appliances, in the back of cabinets, etc). Everywhere else... a mouse is fair game for the cats. I have one cat who is almost like a dog. There was a mouse that ran under the couch. This cat KNOWS when I whisper his name, it's game on. So I whisper Dibdib and he comes prancing over, gets into position, and in a single motion, I lift the couch on end. WHAM. He has the mouse in his mouth.

7. MafiaPrincess

MafiaPrincess Senior Member

They wouldn't starve.. they'd die of dehydration long before starvation. As the back of the stupid glue traps tell people to toss them in the trash, most people are unprepared for killing caught mice in them. Snap traps are more humane if set places the rest of your animals can't go.

We live in a log cabin. More holes than you can count. I have poison in the basement with the door locked to keep the dogs out. Poison in the barn in an unused locked stall with solid walls and door, and a snap trap on the kitchen counter. Here it takes that much effort to keep the mouse population down

8. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member+

I am most certainly NOT prepared to kill a mouse should I find one stuck to a trap, I am not even sure how to go about it, and I don't think I want to know. This is why I want the trap to be as humane as possible. However, mice in the house are most certainly not acceptable. Its an old farm house with a dirt basement, and I am sure there are lots of ways for mice to get in.

I was horrified when I heard it squeaking in my cat's mouth. At first I thought he had one of his mouse toys that make very mouse like noises, then I saw it moving. It was dead before I could get it away from my cat.

9. Bumper

Bumper Senior Member+

Regular old fashioned mouse trap.

My favorite method is to catch them by the tail and call, 'HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY!'

3 people like this.
  10. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

A barn I was at used spilled beetpulp pellets as deterent/ rodenticide. The mice love it, and when they go get a drink, it swells, killing and mummifying them. Benign to pets as it takes much more to affect dog/ cat, who arent inclined to eat it anyhow, than a mouse. If the mouse dies bewteen walls, you wont smell it. When I was buying beet pulp shreds, a bag had a hole in it, and a mummified mouse like a Cracker Jack cattoy/surprise in the bottom.