Human Hair Dye on horses: Is it as bad as everyone says?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by PatrioticPOA, Mar 30, 2010.

1. PatrioticPOA

PatrioticPOA Senior Member

I've been reading about people's horses permanently loosing hair, skin irritation, etc.

But is it as bad as some people say it is? My bay gelding has some sun bleaching on his tail I would LOVE to get rid of. I'd also like to touch up so hairs on his legs.

Whose had good results with it, whose had bad results? All input is welcome.

Of coarse there is horse dye but you add "horse" to the factor and it instantly becomes outrageously expensive.

I bought a bottle of black human hair dye (Revlon Color Silk) for under $3.00! It's ammonia free but read the back and it has a TON of alcohols in it.

If I test it out and make sure he isn't allergic is it okay?

2. blakhawq

blakhawq Senior Member

Is there that many hairs that you have to dye rather than pull them out?

I have seen quite a few threads on here with successful mane and tail dying, but Im not sure which particular products they used, maybe you could do a search? I do know they spot tested, as even we humans need to do with hair dye, and they put shampoo or vaseline under, to prevent staining the wrong areas, and put the dyed hair in shopping bags to keep it up. But again, only recalling from memory what I read on here, lol.

FYI, I feed my only sunfade prone horse paprika daily, so he doesnt fade or bleach anymore. :)

ETA: Heres a few recent ones:
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/321731/

http://myhorseforum.com/threads/287691/?highlight=dyed

http://myhorseforum.com/threads/260637/?highlight=dyed

Maybe you can ask the OP if you have more questions :)

Good luck! Post before and after pics if you do it! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  3. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Senior Member+

Um....when I was 15 I dyed my appy's mane purple.:D:D:eek::blushing:. Nobody shoot me; my mom said I could. hahaha! I didn't use vasaline....and he survived.

IDK- we do SO MUCH stuff to our hair which is less than an inch away from our brain and yet we get our knickers in a wad over our animals...psh.

I say go for it, I guess. Is there a way to dye his hair without getting it on his skin? You're dying his tail, right?

Just....use every precaution and be sure to do it outside, where the fumes won't make you feel silly.:D:wink:

1 person likes this.
  4. MissJosieBee

MissJosieBee Senior Member

I had this exact same thought today! Thanks for starting this thread for me! :D
    I want to dye my bays tail and legs.

5. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

Its not THAT bad for horse hair or our hair.

The reason it usually FRIES hair is because of overprocessing. Which means coloring the same stuff OVER and OVER and OVER again.

Go for it- but definitely look into some of the other threads on color horse tails.

Since they can swish their tail- it definitely makes things interesting! :)

6. jnj777

jnj777 Full Member

I dye my bay's mane and tail every spring and it has never hurt him. I'm careful to not get it on the dock of the tail and I apply conditioner to any part I don't want the dye to get on. It makes his mane and tail so shiny and healthy looking but I do make sure to condition it good afterward. He's never had an adverse reaction to the dye and its never made his hair fall out.

BUT- I only leave it on for 10 mins or less! I do not leave it on for the full 30mins. Most horses hair is so dry the dye soaks in right away and 10 mins is all you need. Plus, you want it to look natural.

I've tried to dye his legs before with so-so results. If you try it I recommend applying the dye to a bristled hair brush and using that to apply it with the hair growth to get a more natural look.

Good luck!

7. madvoice

madvoice Senior Member+

I used to dye my bay mare's tail with Clairol blue black. I'd do it once a year for show season. She never had any reaction and it lasted ages though I would need two boxes lol.

8. PatrioticPOA

PatrioticPOA Senior Member

There's enough hair that I bought hair dye for it. ;) He would be one ticked off pony if I tried to pull it out.

Can't use paprika, I show. But I do appreciate the advice and the links. I will contact them. :D

This is going to be a one time thing to get rid of some sun bleaching. This is going to be as needed when we show. I just think it gives the horse a more polished look. I don't even dye my own hair. My poor horsey. :D

Thanks for the tip! :D

It's my little pony....JUMBO size!

Most of the bleached hairs are surface and not near his tail bone. He's got a pretty thick tail and I will make sure to get all of the dye out. Maybe if I FOILED his hair it wouldn't get close to that....can you imagine!? LOL :D

9. Taihoa

Taihoa Senior Member

i dye my horses manes & tails all the time and have never had a problem. just do a skin test first :)

10. shell

shell Senior Member+

I have colored my minis manes and tails due to sun bleaching before a show several times. Never had a problem. But I am allergic to hair color (Go figure, I am a hairdresser :rolleyes:) so I am sure some horses can be allergic to it as well.