How toxic are mums to horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Snow Capped, Sep 8, 2012.

  1. Snow Capped

    Snow Capped Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2011
    Messages:
    74
    Likes Received:
    2
    Long story short, my horse took a bite of my mum plant today. I pulled as much of it out of his mouth that I could. I was riding him at the time, so might have missed some. I didn't think too much of it and we continued to go on our trail ride, which took about 45 minutes. I got to thinking about it once I got home so I googled if mums are toxic to horses and they are. Does anybody know how toxic? Should I be concerned?

    He lives at my mom's, about 20 miles from my house, so I can't just check on him whenever. I was there for probably 45 minutes to an hour after we got back from the ride, grained him and hayed him and he seemed fine. Am I just worrying too much?:confused: Do they have to eat a large amount before it begins effecting them?
     






  2. Snow Capped

    Snow Capped Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2011
    Messages:
    74
    Likes Received:
    2
  3. pantha11

    pantha11 Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    Messages:
    3,137
    Likes Received:
    223
    As for most toxins...they often tuck...(sink in at the flanks), dehydrate, become pale in the gums, with mums they can also salivate....if you are really worried...pm me have things you can use to get rid of the toxins in the body.
     

Share This Page