How to stop snow packing in hooves

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by horselover2005, Dec 28, 2004.

1. horselover2005

horselover2005 Senior Member

I have heard of using crisco and vasoline to stop snow from packing in a horse's hoof. What do u use?

2. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I just got snow pads, so I don't have to worry about now, but I have used veg. oil and spray Pam before. It does work very well, and cheaper than snow pads, but you have to put it on often when it snows.

3. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

This is ODD I know, but I've been told it works! You can spray PAM cooking spray on them and the snow won't stick!

LOL...I just saw someone posted that same thing while I was typing...see I told you! lol

4. horselover2005

cowgirl thats a very odd cowhinkyedink. i have heard of using pam too. maybe i'll try that also. Its such a bother to clean my horses feet when i have to like scrap the packed snow out of his poor little feet. But at least he stands for it and doesn't more a bit.

5. KZWestern

KZWestern Senior Member+

Hmmm, I just pick the feet...

6. horselover0129

horselover0129 Senior Member

i use Pam cooking spray and it wooks good.

7. horselover2005

well i'm pretty sure we all pick our horses feet, but it would be nice to ride my horse for more than 20 minutes, without worring about that stupid snow building up in his feet.( can u tell that i don't care for snow).

8. arabkid

arabkid Senior Member+

I wish I knew something that worked for weeks at a time...we have 45 horses that are out side and I would love for them to not have those snowballs...but i'm not buying that much Pam and going around spray each horse twice a day!! lol I would never do anything else if I did!

9. jumpinfool14

jumpinfool14 Full Member

you can get the farrier out and put snow pads on . Thats what my mare has on now. IT WORKS. plus you dont have to pick their front feet

10. spotteddrafter1

spotteddrafter1 Senior Member

Is your horse shod or barefoot? My mare is barefoot and therefor the temp of her feet is warmer and I don't really have to worry about the snow sticking to the feet.