How to stop gelding chewing the wooden posts?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Pedrolapaz1961, Dec 3, 2018.

1. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Turn him out more. I have one that will eat a barn if he's stalled. Is he used to being stalled? That could be his problem. Mine are out (with the ability to come in) 24/7 and they don't do this.

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Mix old oil and diesel fuel. Paint on posts. That fixed our wood chewer problem.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Best we ever had was angle iron in the stalls. Horses can get to where they like the taste of Crib Halt. I swear they do! Paint it on one week, patch over it where they've ate it the next. But angle iron on the edges is wonderful.

mymarespet and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Pedrolapaz1961

Pedrolapaz1961 Registered

Update:
    We got him a slow feed hay pillow and it seems to have done the trick. It takes his mind off the stall door and he enjoys spending time getting every last blade of hay out.

The new problem is with the barn owners. They have asked us to repair the stall door where he was chewing. I was led to believe that part of your board money is for wear and tear. Are we expected to make good the repairs or shall we ignore their request?

5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

If you signed a contract, look in there

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I wouldnt just ignore it if they asked you to fix it. Look in your contract and go from there..

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Pedrolapaz1961

Pedrolapaz1961 Registered

We don’t have a contract.
    We just pay board one month at a time.

8. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

I would highly suggest getting a contract written... it will save both you and your horse as well as the barn owners. Maybe replace the board this time and write in the contract that future repairs are covered by board money? You have to be responsible for your horse.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Oof. In my opinion if you don't have a contract then you have no leg to stand on. It is their property and you are "renting" the space for your horse... therefore in my mind you'd be responsible for the cost of upkeep. It sucks, but if you don't have anything in writing then you really don't have any room to negotiate. Others might see it differently, but that's my take.

10. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

I had a mare that was just mouthy, she chewed the fence with a round bale sitting beside her. We finally ran tin strips along the fence.
    Don't ignore the barn owners, some wear and tear is expected but from the sounds of it there is more than just normal wear.