How to properly lunge

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bellalou, Oct 8, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Just to clarify, this isn’t really about whether lunging is good, bad or indifferent. Personally I rarely lunge. But a discussion in another thread got me thinking about how people attach the line so I was wondering what the pros and cons of different methods were. Because it’s a pure waste of money for me to buy a lunging cavesson. I’d use it about twice a year.

2. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Bottom ring of the halter.

secuono and Arem like this.
  3. DelP

DelP Senior Member

When I lunge I generally double lunge.

4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Lunging has been really useful at times for my mare to get her more confident and balanced in the canter without me getting in her way. I don't do it often, but I've found I like a bit/bridle if using side reins, but a halter on top to attach the longe to the center ring. I just have a hard time thinking about how it feels if I'm clipped to the bit and the horse pulls much at all. Side reins are my steady contact, and I'm able to encourage a little flexion inside from the halter. If I'm not using side reins, I just use a halter.

I was taught to go through the inside ring, over the poll, and clip to the outside ring. Having gotten a horse who did not lunge well at all, I quickly learned that I greatly disliked this method. I tried one of those things that clips to both bit rings and has a ring on the bottom, and it wasn't bad, but honestly at that point I'd rather just clip to the halter.

5. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I very rarely lunge but, like manes, I will round pen a greenie or one that I have no history on. Both can tell me a lot about an equine and are valuable tools for me.
    When I do lunge one, it is with a halter, lead on the bottom ring so I can change directions without adjusting the equipment. Lots of quick direction changes can jazz up a dull one and lots of walking can slow down an excited one.
    I will try to keep you all posted as I start Havoc and/or Stupid driving this spring. I bought a book about ground driving and long lining and I have purchased some new equipment so it should be interesting!

tlwidener, ginster and doublelranch like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Havoc is Cloud's half brother, right? The pinto?
    And Stupid is the one manes likes so much iirc?
    Hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

equinitis likes this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I'm loving the names! :rofl:

mooselady and equinitis like this.
  8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I don't really think lunging serves much purpose after the first few saddlings/rides either. My horses hasn't been lunged since the first day I tried a back cinch on him and it was about 45 seconds of lunging at that lol

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I want Stupid.
    Havoc is bay I think?

equinitis and ginster like this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I'll start a thread on Havoc and Stupid I plan to do some messing this weekend and continue at least until the time changes and it is dark when I get home. This will give me a good idea of what I have and what I need to start with in the spring.

ginster and bellalou like this.