How to properly lunge

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bellalou, Oct 8, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, I know it's technically "longe" but I'm using the colloquial spelling. :p;

The side reins article got me thinking because people were talking about the proper way to lunge. I was taught to lunge with the line tied to the near ring of the bit, then under the chin and clipped to the outside ring (when you don't have a lunging cavesson, which I never have).

I've honestly never really thought that deeply about it. I've never had a problem that way and my horses lunge fine. I know a lot of people who use the over the poll method too but that just wasn't the way I was used to.

It's a bit of a pain when you change direction because you have to undo the clip and redo it but it's not that much of a hassle.

It's probably completely incorrect and doing irreparable damage to my horses. So how about a discussion on lunging? What is it about the over-the-poll method that is bad? And is my method horrifying? If so, why?

I'm serious - not being snarky at all. I've just always lunged this way and wonder - if one doesn't have a lunging cavesson - what the best way to do is is considered to be.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

:ROFLMAO: Well.... I do it totally wrong. I just use the ring or loop (rope halter) under the chin. I don't lunge very often though. Once in a great while I'll bit up a horse while lunging. When I do that I go over the poll like you described.

I guess I don't find that much value in lunging. I don't own a lunging cavesson. I don't have side reins.

I may need to improve my technique though... It might be better for my purposes to ground drive.

Squirt!! and lucky_pine like this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, I really don't lunge often. Usually, it's to work on something specific - recently I've been working with Bella on her left lead canter and I used lunging to reinforce the canter cue and getting that lead without a rider. But mostly I just hop on and ride.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I lunge in a halter with the line clipped to the bottom ring. :ROFLMAO:

Western riders screw everything up.:LOL::cool:

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Longeing can be just chasing the horse around and driving it nuts, but it can also be very valuable training. The key is knowing how to tack up the horse, and knowing how to longe. Most horses being longed need bell boots, work boots or polo boots, and if using two longe lines, the tail should be knotted and put up. Where he can be longed is really important, it needs to be somwhere where he won't bother other riders if he plays up. The footing should provide a lot of support without being too hard, and should not be slippery even if he plays up or 'torques around'. Too deep a footing can injure tendons, so it's important to be sure the footing is right.

Generally, the horse should be tacked up with a bridle, saddle and side reins. Side reins always have to be applied with extreme care the first few times, attaching only one at a time and keeping the horse moving forward. Horses unfamiliar with any sort of auxilliary equipment can and have 'hit' the sidereins or tack, and gone over backwards.

It's important to use sturdy tack. A longe line in good condition should be used, and one should not attempt to tie lead shanks or strings to it to make it longer.

A longe whip - one that's not too floppy or flimsy and is long enough - is required equipment.

Longeing can be used for training, and can resolve some problems, if some only partly (for example Chevy, MzCarol's horse, can be partially 'fixed' on the longe line of his balking, jibbing, nappiness, rearing and bucking, at least to instill a little bit more giddy up to his go, but it will still require a confrontation under saddle to get rid of the behavior).

I would never put a longe line or the chain of a longe line, through the inside bit ring, under the chin and clip it to the opposite bit ring, or longe with a 'longeing chain' ('v chain') no matter what the horse's problem was. I would be trying to train a dressage or driving horse, and I don't feel a dressage horse can keep a connection with the longeline/bit or chain, in that setup without being punished for taking a contact.

I would generally not longe in a halter unless the horse could not be bridled with a bit and bridle/in an enclosed area/horse is already very broke. There isn't enough control, the halter gets twisted on the face if one has to actually try to control the horse, and one can get dragged if the horse gets startled and runs.

How one attaches the longe line to the horse is important. But which method is used, depends on how the horse goes and what his issues are.

It is unwise to attach the longe line to the bit if the horse is likely to get carried away or act up and really pull or leap around. Ingrid Klimke showed everyone how to put the longe through the bit ring and attach it to the bridle caveson, and that can work very well in some situations, if the caveson is sturdy enough and properly adjusted.

Another option is to put the longe line over the poll, but keep in mind that that is quite harsh and is only intended for situations in which the horse is getting really strong (pulling against the longeur, going very fast, playing up).

StraightandTrue likes this.
  6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I rarely lunge. If I do lunge with a bridle on then I usually use side reins. I will put a halter on over the bridle and clip the lunge line to the bottom ring on the halter. That way I dont have to unclip and reclip and what not when changing direction. *shrug*

StraightandTrue likes this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

:ROFLMAO:

Arem likes this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I longe in a regular halter and use the bottom ring under the chin as well.

bwahorses, spec, Squirt!! and 6 others like this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You Westerners. You're all rebels, aren't you? :p

Squirt!! and Arem like this.
  10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Rebels without a cause... :D Or we're just simple folks, and if it works, don't fix it.