How to keep a tailbag in for days?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by lbandrew, Jan 22, 2012.

1. lbandrew

lbandrew Senior Member+

What's the best way to go about keeping a tail braided and bagged for at LEAST 3-4 days? Every single time I try, I end up with a missing tail bag and a matted, partially de-braided tail.

What's the secret?

2. APHAPtHA

APHAPtHA Senior Member

I know the feeling.... I switched to vet wrapping!! I dont have that problem any more! have you tried the braid in tail bags? I would love to try one, just havent bought one yet

3. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

I gave up on using bags years ago--I braid mine with baling twine and loop it up and tie it just below the tailbone, stays great. Only way I can keep my horse from trashing her tail in the winter.

4. LippittMorgans7

LippittMorgans7 Senior Member

My friend keeps her stallion's tail in a tail bag and will leave it in for at least a week at a time without redoing it. The trick is using the tail bags with the ties on TOP vs. the ones that braid in (those just won't stay in!)Because his tail is SO thick she leaves the top portion out and only braids the underside, which is the longest. Then after putting and elastic around the end of the braid, loop the braid back up on itself a few times. She then takes electrical tape and wraps it around the loops a few times in a couple different places. Once it's secure THEN you can tie the tail bag in.

Something like this is what seems to work for her stud:
    [​IMG]

5. Widget

Widget Senior Member+

I use a bag made by 'tailgator'. I plait the tail from just below the dock bone and secure with an elastic band. Then thread the plait down the fabric tube of the tail bag. It secures to the tail by 2 fabric tabs which thread through the tail at the top of the plait and velcro closed. Then the bottom of the bag folds up to meet the top and secures there with another velcro tab. So the tail is plaited from dock to end and then folded in half. I dont use any tape or anything and so far it has stayed in. He wears it 24/7 for a week or so at a time and then I re do it having oiled and brushed his tail through. There is never any hair loss when I take it out. I even ride with it in. Its bright yellow so I can find it if he loses it in the field but in the 3 months I have used it he has not lost it. I ordered it online but I think it is a UK based company. The bag is also waterproof so keeps all the mud off, however in very heavy rain it sometimes collects a bit of water. Not much but enough to dampen the tail hair.

6. BetterThanThat

BetterThanThat Senior Member

I use vet wrap :) I wrapped them on Saturday. Monday now!

7. MAJALY

MAJALY Registered

i use vetrap occasionally, but sometimes i end up losing hair from that. i use the tailbags that LippitMorgans posted above - saturate the tail in cowboy magic/mtg/whatever you use. then braid it up. put the tailbag on and tie through the tail. double even triple knot it. you can also use another hairtie/rubber band to make it extra secure :)

8. Halter_Mom

Halter_Mom Senior Member

i use the ones lil lippit mentioned and i leave mine in for a month or so at a time... i just tie the tops and if need be i put rubber bands arround the top where i tied it

9. windblown

windblown Senior Member

I find you definitely lose more hair using tail tape (NEVER vet wrap! I've never understood why people mess with that for tails!). Tail tape is 100 times easier.

Having said that, I only use tail bags on my horses at home when there are no flies or when we're at shows. If you use tail bags on turned out horses when there are flies, the braid will get matted and knotted in a hurry, and it's MUCH harder to keep the bag on, lol. (see: http://www.sstack.com/horse-care-tail-bags-protection/guard-tex-legtail-wrap-white/)

I use the one that Brittany showed, and I'll wrap the piece around the braid strand snugly and THEN tie. I do two different bows. One around one strand of the braid, and a second around the other two strands. I learned this trick from a show groom, and it really keeps them on a long time. I did my gelding's tail (which is LONG and has to be folded to fit into a bag) about two weeks ago, and it's still on perfectly fine. I feel down the bag to make sure the braid isn't getting matted or coming undone, but so far so good.

10. hoofs_in_motion

hoofs_in_motion Senior Member

this is really weird.....but....electrical tape.

I braid the tail, put it in the bag, and wrap electrical tape around the top of the bag under the tailbone really tight. It will last a couple of days. My mare wiggles out of everything and this helps alot