1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

how to get the crud out of a wooly winter coat without washing?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Rachel1786, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

A professional photographer friend of mine posted on Facebook looking for a horse to use for a unicorn photo shoot. Not thinking anything of it, I sent her a pic of my appy. Well her client likes Legacy, who happens to be filthy lol. I have a few weeks before she wants to do the shoot, but I need some advice on how to get him clean. I'm going to start putting a sheet or blanket on him to keep him from getting worse, but what's the best way to get the thick caked on stuff clean? This horse loves to roll and lay in the grossest parts of the pasture. He's turned out 24/7 and I don't have access to a wash stall to get him clean that way. His coat is so long all the grossness clings to it lol. On the plus side, it's really only 1 back leg and his belly that are really bad.

2. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The gross side...
    [​IMG]

3. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Well, he is gorgeous mud and all.

I just did this chore this morning on both of my horses.

Furminator first. Stiff bristled brush second. My dotted gloves (nubby gloves) third to make me feel better Plus the glove massage seems to add a shine to them:)

You could also use the vacuum somewhere in there. I keep a shop vac in the barn but I didn't feel like digging it out this morning.

Rachel1786 likes this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll start working on I later today, his girth area is gonna be the hardest to clean but at least it's it's not a visible area and he won't be saddled.

The photographer is asking me how much I want to change the client. Never rented out a horse before, any idea? she said she'd need about an hour of our time.

5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Dry shampoo. Works wonders. :)

Rachel1786 likes this.
  6. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Any specific brand that you've found works well?

7. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I have found Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover works well, and doesn't need to be rinsed out.

mooselady likes this.
  8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Honestly, I buy the cheapest stuff I can find for the horses. I don't have to worry about them looking greasy like I do myself LOL

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BO had a chestnut quarab who I think/ swear used poop for pillows. Spray on cleanser with tea tree oil in it was great stuff, almost regardless of weather.
    Ive used Showsheen on FRM especially to get out winter wind gnarls, since she wont take a bath, ever. Or even Pledge spritz.

10. Melanie Falls

Melanie Falls Registered

Have you tried a waterless shampoo? They can be great stain removers and dirt repellers. I have a lady at my barn with a grey arab who loves to roll in the mud- this one works well for her: EspaƱa Silk Protein Waterless Shampoo