Featured How to Darken Leather. How to?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by tiakitty16, Feb 5, 2009.

1. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

What kind of products can you use to darken leather? I won a trophy barrel saddle and it is a lighter leather, which I am not fond of. I've used quite a bit of neatsfoot oil on it and it hasn't really darkened it much. I like the darker oil saddles, and I'd love to find a product to darken the oil quite a bit. I appreciate any help.

2. mustangsally97

mustangsally97 Senior Member

Try putting on lots of neatfoot oil then putting in the sun for a bit. I have heard that works wonderful!! But, depending where you are, you may have to wait till its warmer. Dang, its cold here!!!!

3. cblackie

cblackie Full Member

You can get leather darkening oil........in a blue tin.......paint it on with a paint brush and let it dry in the sun. Make sure to take your tack completely apart. You may need a couple of coats to get it to the desired color. To maintain it use neatsfoot oil ever 6 months or so. Good luck!

4. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member+

I would avoid adding any more neatsfoot. Oversaturating the leather with leave it ozeing all over you.

Instead get some Hydrophane darkening oil (http://www.legacytack.com/p/10156/Hydrophane%20Leather%20Darkening%20Oil.html). It will darken the leather without oversaturating it. I've darkened several bridles and saddles with this. Apply a few coats at a time and then set it in the sun if you can or let it sit over night. And just keep repeating the process until the color is right. I usually also condition the leather before starting and as needed through out the darkening process.

5. spuddy

spuddy Senior Member

Hydrophane Darkening Oil is the best thing to use.

6. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member+

First off Tia,
    congratulations on winning the saddle!

Many saddle makers finish off their saddles with a sealer that adds a sheen and gloss to the leather finish.
    This gloss sealer does not allow the leather to absorb the neetsfoot oil.
    I would start with a call to the saddle maker to confirm this.
    I have removed some of these products with other products that I don't care to mention as some of them might stain your new saddle.
    It is very easy to remove once you know what it is.

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

I 3rd the Hydrophane Leather Darkening oil :D

8. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

I 4th Hydrophane Darkening oil. It works well to darken the saddle slowly. Put a coat or two one once a week until it reaches the color you want.

9. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

Looks like I'll be 5th-ing the Hydrophane! :)

10. froglander

froglander Senior Member+

Sorry to bring up an old thread, just wondered if the darkening was successful?

I have a Circle Y trail saddle that is Pecan in color and I'd love to darken it if I could, just not sure if there is some sort of finish on it that would make the darkening attempts not work very well.