How to convince parents to lease?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Young_Equestrian, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Young_Equestrian

Young_Equestrian Registered

Pretty much the title.

A few things.

1. I take lessons 3 days a week.
    2. I've taken lessons for 3.5 years.
    3. I already know what horse I want to lease
    4. I am unable to work at the barn I ride and get payed, b/c most people that ride there muck stalls, feed horses, and do other barn chores without being paid.
    5. I'm an only child and horse riding is my only sport/event.

What can I do?

My parents know its not a phase, it's just convincing them.

2. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

First, how old are you? There's a big difference in a 13 year old convincing their parents and a 17 year old.

Second, what part are they hesitant about? The expense? That horse in particular? Worries about it being dangerous? Preferring to buy than lease?

Young_Equestrian likes this.
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

In addition to the questions above........Anytime you speak with them, talk to them calmly and clearly. Do not react emotionally. No whining.

Can you get a job anywhere else, even not horse related?

Explain that you have a plan for your future in horses (first make a plan), explain how you would like to achieve this plan. Explain that this is not a phase, you are a horse person and always will be. You need their support because you know they love you and want you to be happy. Ask how you can earn the lease from them. Chores? Taking initiative around the house would be a good idea to show them you are responsible and willing to go the extra mile to earn a lease. Even if you don't get THAT horse to lease, an appropriate horse is as good as any.

GotaDunQH, foxtrot and Binca like this.
  4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree with everything @emali06 said.

I have a lot of sympathy. I knew from a very young age that I wanted horses to be part of my life but my family was not horsey. I did all the things suggested. I always spoke to my parents about it in a calm and rational way, worked really hard to keep emotion out of it except to explain that horses were my passion, like other people are passionate about team sports or gymnastics or science camp.

I did all the work around the house involving all our animals - we had cats and dogs - to prove that I would be responsible about taking care of a horse. I also babysat, dog sat, and mowed lawns to earn money.

My parents bought me my first horse when I was 10 and I literally did all the work of horse care from then on. So that's the other thing - make sure you follow through if they agree.

Good luck. I hope you are successful.

5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

What are their reasons for saying "no"? Always know who you're negotiating with. If it's financial, then you're going to have to wait until you can pay for it yourself. If it's not, figure out what their reasons are and go from there. Coming up with a good persuasive speech has a lot to do with knowing your audience. Good luck.

6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

She indicates she is 11 years old. Wondering how she got here.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well, just sit down and talk with them. It's probably money, which is a valid reason to not as parents if they're stressed financially. I'm pretty sure if they weren't, it'd be no problem. I know you're frustrated though. It is so very hard being a parent and disappointing your child for all the love you have for them. Know this. Likely they'd move heaven and earth if they could, but their number one priority is making your life secure and safe. They're smart not to risk their financial security. When and if they can, they will. Just an appraisal after reading here, be cool and enjoy what you do have right now.

8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Earn some money to help with the expenses. Set some financial goals with your parents.

9. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Is leasing more expensive than 3 lessons a week = 12 lessons a month?

Young_Equestrian and tlwidener like this.
  10. Young_Equestrian

Young_Equestrian Registered

Wellllllllll-
    Thank you for the advice!

My birthday was 2 weeks ago, and my parents bought me the horse!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::woot::woot::woot::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.