How to Coat Pills?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by rascalboy, Jan 5, 2013.

1. rascalboy

rascalboy Senior Member

Hey all! My mare is basically on her own 6days a week, and I come out once a week to refill her meds and do stuff. She's got a little aquarium fish feeder that dispenses one of her Previcox pills every day. The only issue is that Previcox, being a canine drug originally, is meat-flavored. My mare doesn't like that taste. I need a way to coat the pills. I'm wondering if I brushed maple syrup on them in a thin coat, if it would dry totally. The pills need to be totally dry so they don't stick together, and I don't want to put them inside anything because they're JUST small enough to fit in the feeder as it is. Any ideas? I'm having trouble finding small quantities of pill coating online...

2. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member+

I don't think your going to have much luck....your feeding system sounds awfully interesting.

Could you maybe just crush the pill and do her grain and supplements in baggies? Then you could add a bit of molasses or applesauce to it.

3. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Is there nobody taking care of her for the other 6 days? :confused:

5 people like this.
  5. rascalboy

rascalboy Senior Member

Lol, guys, come on! I specifically said that her pills get dispensed by a machine, and therefore can not be a soupy mash of applesauce, and I also specifically said I could not put the pill inside of anything as the pill is just small enough to fit in the machine compartments on its own.

JB- She needs 24/7 turnout, which isn't available in my area (needs enough room to wander and can't be around other horses as she gets aggressive and aggravates her joint problems) so she's self-care boarded in my friend's neighbor's front yard an hour away and so my friend watches her but doesn't drive over to do her drugs. Now, do you perhaps have any suggestions on pill coating? I contacted my local pet pharmacy for some advice but haven't gotten their response yet.

6. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member+

So its self-care board....so you have to do all the care? So you'd need to be there everyday anyways? Who's filling water? Who's feeding hay (not sure where your located)?

What kind of pill machine is this?

7. rascalboy

rascalboy Senior Member

Water is in a 100gal trough, hay is in the form of an 800lb roundbale in a hay net, and as I mention in the original post, pills are dispensed in an automatic aquarium feeder. Google it if you must.
    As much as I love being interviewed, does anyone have any info on the actual topic, which is: pill coating?

8. buckinmare

buckinmare Senior Member

Easy, killer, everyone is just a bit confused with how it all works. Maybe try something like coat the pill in molasses and put them individually in the freezer until you have enough frozen for however long you give them? We have molasses on our grain and it doesn't stick together too much.

2 people like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

Any coating you put on the pill is going to make the pill larger and then it's not going to fit into the dispenser. Even a hard candy coating, like what's on M&Ms is going to add bulk to the pill. I'd find another way to dispense the meds. Get horse meds that don't taste like meat or put the meds in another dispenser that WILL accommodate a larger pill or treat that the pill can be put into.

If someone's keeping an eye on her, why not see if they'll give her a half carrot with a pill hidden it, daily? Just make a slit in the carrot with a knife and push the pill into the slit.

6 people like this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

seems AWFULLY weird to me as well.

a pill dispenser? really? for a horse? that makes NO sense!

IMPO, get out there every day to take care of her and make sure she's doing okay, or find someone else to do it.

4 people like this.