How the TB industry uses foster nursemares in Ireland

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by D_BaldStockings, Mar 24, 2017.

1. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

The reason to use a foster mare instead of bottle feeding is that a mare can raise a future racehorse better than a human from the psychological perspective. The mare and foal need to be out with other mares and foals. Putting an orphan out with mares with foals will likely get him kicked or bit with no 'mom' to run to for protection. For maximum growth, they want the TB foal to have ALL the milk.

With a family cob, bottlefeeding and raising in a more confined area are less damaging to the future family horse.
    It is also possible that other nursemares may have the 'left behind' foal grafted on so they raise 2, not one. And the humans supplement feed, of course.

If no nursemares are needed that year, then they raise, train and sell the cob foals without removing them from their dams.

Are ALL nursemare providers like this? I don't know, but if I had a dead mare and a newly orphaned foal, I would be looking for a healthy well cared for mare to 'mother' it.

The plight of the foals separated from their dams, loaded up and shipped off to rescue without colostrum or any sort of supportive care or thought is real. It doesn't seem like a smart business move, nor the move of a horseman. Or of a nursemare provider.

Where the foals come from is undisclosed; unlike how Coolmore Ireland clearly shows where their nursemares originate and their foals and what happens to them. You have to believe there may be a reason for that; and that you may not be dealing with nursemare industry foals at all.

2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

As have I when I worked at a TB farm. I've traveled with high-dollar mares, their high-dollar foals to even more high-dollar studs. In the years that I was working there there were NO mares who didn't raise their own foals. The only way a nursemare would be used was if things went terribly, tragically wrong.

3. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Tbh, I'm not the least bit squeamish about horses being used for food (or any animal) so long as they're treated well while they're alive and killed in a humane way. If the biological foals of nurse mares don't have a market, or they are over saturated, i don't see an issue with them being used for meat (although I don't know if that actually happens, just saw another person mention it). That seems highly preferable to say, the state of horses in my neck of the woods. And in that case, you would know that the nursemares were being kept in good health during gestation, otherwise they wouldn't be fit to be nursemares.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm of the opinion that most of these "nursemare" foals are actually from mares that foaled at auction or just prior and weren't wanted. They can't take foals to slaughter so they wind up in this racket of the nursemare scam. Do mares die foaling? Rarely. So where are they all coming from.. My point earlier. It's a real attack on the racehorse industry, particularly TB but now hitting Standies also. It also is a huge tug on the heartstrings for those believing in the "ruthless" TB owners. Most break their hearts caring for their horses and they're not billionaires. There are tracks everywhere, not just Churchill Down's.

5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

I am now running across bleeding hearts who are being told ALL breeds use nursemares, that NO mare in the entire US is raising their own foals.

Whole poor nursemare foals is nothing but a moneymaker. Wonder how much lcc pulled in in 2015/2016? Got 316K+ in 2014.

Alsosusieq2 and CoffeeBean like this.
  6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Better take a tight seat then, because now ALL breeders of ALL breeds are being tossed into this, from ASBs, to QHs, to hear them tell it, no mare in the entire USA is raising their own foal.

As for where these foals are actually coming from? As I've written before, it would not be that hard to gather up foals from your buddies keeping a herd of mares with stud and present them as "poor nursemare foals" or pick them up at auctions. Or pull them from the horses in the KY/WV mining country, as there are many roaming there that were turned loose.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Nothing would surprise me. If there are people saying milk is violence, well you can figure they'll take this nursemare nonsense and run with it. Totally bizarre that people in social media take things at face value and don't fact check before passing it on as truth. I see this on Twitter a lot, I never pass on till I fully read and trust the source. Sensational news catches a lot of people and gets them riled up.

D_BaldStockings and CoffeeBean like this.
  8. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

I have absolutely NOTHING against people who try to raise orphaned foals or foals without dams for any reason, including the realtively few nursemare foals that may end up sold.

I have everything against people throwing an industry or all horse industry under the bus because demonizing gets better press than reality.
    Such is social media: torches and pitchforks for all. And don't confuse them with facts.

Alsosusieq2, meljean and DelP like this.
  9. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I wonder how many of these idiots have confused ET mares with Nurse mares... eeeeh. With social media connecting owners of mares who've lost foals with owners of orphaned foals, I don't see how theres really any market at all.

Alsosusieq2 and CoffeeBean like this.
  10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

"With social media connecting owners of mares who've lost foals with owners of orphaned foals, I don't see how theres really any market at all."

To know that the mare you're getting is really as advertised is my guess. I would be very leery of bringing in a mare of unknown health status. Plus getting a mare that has done the job before so is likelier to accept the foal, or working with people who have a lot more experience than oneself in trying to get the mare to accept the foal.

D_BaldStockings and Alsosusieq2 like this.