How old is too old to jump?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by sandyacres, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Cadence

Cadence Senior Member

She looks like she's sound and moving along pretty darn well. I see no problem with continuing to jump her. The lesson horse I ride is about 18/19 and going on like a champ. When they are done jumping, you will know. They slow down a bit, are more reluctant, more stiff, tire easier, etc. Until then though, a good light work out will be good for her mental and physical health:)

As a side note, she doesn't look like a wild or out of control mare to me, just an energetic horse with a rider who doesn't know how to slow her down and collect her up.

3 people like this.
  2. sandyacres

sandyacres Full Member

What do you see wrong with her? I mainly ride/drive Clydesdales and don't have as much knowledge as I do with Clydes as the jumpers.. I see she may rush a jump and definitely isn't collected or brought back under control as the lesson horses I ride. Any information would be very helpful for me.

3. sandyacres

sandyacres Full Member

Thanks Cadence, that's what I was seeing, just a very energetic mare. My 7yr old Clyde Mare I ride is full of **** and vinegar almost every time I ride her, takes a bit to get her on the bit and back on track but is so much fun to ride :) If this mare doesn't jump much longer, I am definitely looking forward to having fun at state parks with her :D

1 person likes this.
  4. Runswithhorses

Runswithhorses Senior Member

16 in general is certainly not too old!!! There are horses that age doing Tevis (100 mile endurance ride), and winning. I knew a 27 year old Arabian who loved to jump and won a top 10 at the Arabian Horse Nationals. If your horse is 16, 26, or 36 and still sound it is not too old. Heck, I have a horse who jumped for the first time ever at a schooling show and she was over 20 and still do it on occasion. She loves it.

5. Saph

Saph Senior Member

She looks like she is a very spunky little horse.

She seems to get quite hot around the course. There are a few things that I don't like:
    - she hangs her knees over the jumps
    - at around 31s she looks like she is having some trouble bringing her inside hock under her.
    - they are jumping her in a martingale, which I suspect is there because she throws her head.
    - she looks tense - there are a few places where she seems to be mouthing on the bit in an unhappy way.

Personally, she looks like she could handle some small courses, but there will have to be a lot of work put into her to get her to slow down and relax. You need to keep a very close eye to find out if the above are caused by a physical problem. I had a hot little mare a few years back who was very similar to the one in the OP (dropped knee over the jumps and all). With a lot of understanding and patience she relaxed and became a super beginner jumper, because she was very honest into her fences (as this mare seems to be).

We worked out that she was around 14 when I got her, and 4 years later she is still jumping around 90cm to 1m with her new owner. She was a great confidence giver in the jumping department because she never refused a jump or ducked out. Your mare also looks like she locks onto a fence and goes for it.

When in doubt about whether or not to do something with your horse, evaluate her attitude towards her work as a good indicator as to whether she is physically capable of it or not.

6. Poppy Finnie

Poppy Finnie Registered

I have a 14.2hh geilding as my second pony and have been showing him up to 80 cm and he is perfect, but he failed the flex test, but, the vet said he could make every horse lame out of thirty with it except one horse who would kick him.
    My pony is sound and still going at 20, and he used to do pony grand prix and high level showhunter.
    I would say, no age is too old, as i used to go to this riding school with a 34 year old pony who still jumps like a 7 year old! It is really up to if the horse is sound and up to it.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Really old thread here, but interesting comments. I don't think age is as important as ability and health as well as common sense in height and frequency of jumping and rider ability and control come into play.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Many horses, due to improper use, are done with jumping after only a few years of it. Others that have more suitable, conformation, get good care and are worked properly, go on to 18 or 20 jumping.

What's 'improper' work? Drilling meaning lots of jumps day after day, jumping on bad footing, jumping in poor balance with too much weight on the front legs, jumping when horse is not fresh.

Once a horse knows his job he can be very effectively given a very long jumping career by treating him as a conservable resource, but many people do not. That shortens their jumping career.

Unfortunately some horses are jumped over and over for the rider to learn and practice, or because the rider enjoys jumping, more than the horse needs.

I would say that if a horse needs injections to be sound enough to show in hunt seat classes at local shows (a very low standard of soundness) that it's time to stop jumping.

9. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

The thread is 6 years old.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

So is that reply.