How often do you...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Apr 19, 2017.

1. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

During shedding season, I groom them every day.

Tails MIGHT get brushed 2-3 times a year.

Manes get combed frequently because my horses come every night, like to stretch out in their stalls and get full of shavings.

Whether I brush them or don't, they get a hands on going over every day --- mostly looking for ticks, as where I live, the little soandso's are active all year:(

I've pulled several off one horse, a couple from the other, a few from the barn cats, none from the dogs, and one off DH's back:faint:.

Don't know how he managed to get one under two layers of shirts and half way up his back but he did. He was putting fence posts in an open field but I was mowing that field at the same time so I must have got them on the move:oops:

I said all that as a preachy reminder for everyone to be on tick watch:tiphat:

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I've been super bad about seeing my man lately :( but I groom him head to toe every time I go out. I honestly prefer to do the care work than ride, so sometimes I'll go out just to groom. He will never be clean even after a grooming, but such is the curse of the grey.

CJ likes this.
  3. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

I know what you mean though! I see my horses almost every single day, but only ride maybe once a week because of time constraints. I find caring for my horses as enjoyable as riding, sometimes even more so. I do really love riding though!

4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I like/d to brush mine or FRM while they eat. The minis are such furballs this time of year I know that needs to be thinned out, so they get sympathy shed. I will rack a flake of hay for FRM and just work on her while she works on it, since shes sorta mine, and ancy enough that some of the barn help including BO are a lil wary of her/ being in her way if she moves/ wheels. She cleans up nice and seems to enjoy it. Then goes out and has a good roll :rolleyes:

Dona Worry likes this.
  5. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

I feel so silly saying this, but ticks scare the **** out of me! They are extremely uncommon in Alaska, but recently there has been a rise in the population. I found one on my dog last year and took him to the vet because I was too terrified to know what to do with it. :blushing:

I groom my horses lightly every day, nothing absurd, just a brush over. Once a week I give them a deep cleaning haha, they enjoy it and I love grooming so we all win. :p

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Pretty much this ^^.

If you don't have a lot of time, use a rubber curry quickly then a brisk body brush. Grooming is to me pretty much an every day affair. It doesn't have to be extreme though. I wouldn't do more than finger comb their tail and mane. Always run your hands over their body, down legs checking for heat and swelling. It's a wellness check as well as a groom. Inspect feet, pick out if necessary. Consistently.

gaitedboomer and Dona Worry like this.
  7. LiveLifeLouder

LiveLifeLouder Full Member

I usually only groom when they're getting ridden or worked. I spent some time with my retired pony the other day though to get a dreadlock out of her mane and went ahead and did a full groom. Pony hasn't had a bath in over a year (my fault), she LOVES mud and enjoys grinding dirt into her coat as much as possible. She went from a dark bay to dirt tan and is still that color :eek2: Someone is getting a bath soon! When I was riding her daily and she mostly lived in a stall with shavings, she was always a beautiful deep brown with big dapples, now she's retired and lives outside with a run in she's always filthy :bawling: however, she is happy. I check everyone's feet at least once a day, usually twice. Every time the wind blows (basically every day) more junk appears in the turnout and I've found numerous nails on the ground. Had one horse pick up two once and I've been checking daily since. Also helps because one pony has some feet handling issues we are working on.

Sam C. and Dona Worry like this.
  8. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

^^^^^That too, and don't forget to check inside the ears. My horses love the insides of their ears massaged with Vetericyn and I often lightly rub some sort of ointment on their ears and ear hair to keep the bugs from biting them. I will find the dumber no-see-ums stuck on the hair which is better than finding the ears bit all to heck.

People who don't consistently mess with their horses ears are the ones who complain they can't touch the ears and they either need twitched or tranq'd if there is an ear emergency.

Alsosusieq2 and Dona Worry like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Daily except for tails in tail bags
    Doesn't take long, 10 min. Per horse, or mule.

Dona Worry and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. It doesn't take long for a brief groom, body check. Meant to post about their ears myself @gaitedboomer. Very important.

gaitedboomer likes this.