How often do you...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Apr 19, 2017.

1. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Every single time I see them. I don't ride that often so how else would I spend time with them? Also, I love brushing. It's just so relaxing and satisfying to me to brush them. Dixie just tolerates it but Apollo loves it and will stand for hours at a time. He also moves around based on where he wants you to brush. Dixies mane needs to be brushed out every grooming session because it's so long, it'll form dreadlocks otherwise. I don't really mess with their tails unless I'm really bored. I mostly curry and use the hard brush. If I want to be extra thorough I'll use the soft brush to get them really shiny but I don't do that too often. So they get brushed very often, and I've received tons of compliments on how shiny and smooth they are. Maybe they don't need it, but I enjoy it and Apollo enjoys it (Dixie just has to suck it up lol) so why not?

I don't pick hooves that often. If I notice something is off of course I'll look at the hoof and pick it out, but that's never happened. But I rarely do pick :blushing: the horses are fine with hooves being picked out but I feel like they don't really need to be. They're not shod and it doesn't rain that often here, and when it does they're standing in grass, not tons of mud, and it dries out pretty quickly. I've never had a farrier say anything about it, as a matter of fact I've always been told that their hooves are in great condition and to "keep it up." If they were shod or frequently in muddy conditions I would pick often.

CJ and Dona Worry like this.
  2. noreins

noreins Senior Member

The one I ride gets groomed more. I still pull the other gelding out a couple times a week at least. I mostly leave the tails alone and just watch for knots. Probably spend about 10 minutes per horse.

Dona Worry likes this.
  3. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

I try to groom mine every afternoon when I get off work and go feed them. It's cathartic after a crap day at work and it reminds me of why I spend so much time just to make a buck somewhere. My new mare really loves being groomed and my gelding is starting to enjoy it more for the attention. It's just a relaxing way to spend an afternoon! So, in summation, mine get groomed (minus brushing tails, I only do that every few months unless they need it) between 5 and 7 days a week.

CJ and Dona Worry like this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I have, but I am not a great braider, plus I like the way it looks when it is clean and brushed.
    When I got her she had a nasty solid baseball bat of a tail that took hours and hours of work to tease free, so having it loose makes me happy. I do wish it didn't tangle so fast.
    The two morgans basically NEVER get a full grooming, yet look like runway models. I almost never see burrs or knots in their manes or tails.

Sam C. likes this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

If I'm not riding, I don't do anything with him except maybe give him a cookie and a quick pet.

BUT, I ride 5-6 days a week so... he gets brushed a lot lol. Time spent depends on how dang muddy he is. lately, he's been pretty muddy so it takes me a good 15 min to get him cleaned up. I curry, brush, then apply a spray hair conditioner over his body and mane/tail and wipe him down with a towel. The only place I don't spray it is where my saddle sits b/c it makes him slippery.

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I like my horses to look well cared for, grooming brings out the shine. And it's bonding time for me.

When I had a horse I groomed him 4 to 6 times per week. Brushed him at least once every time I saw him. Twice if I rode. And I will usually bathe or hose down 2 to 3 times per week in summer. I used hot towels in winter.

Kappa and Dona Worry like this.
  7. all4him

all4him Senior Member

I don't have a horse but I groom each time I'm at any of the horses I ride/take care of. My friend had major surgery a couple of months ago and she asked if I could get over there to groom/pick the horses' feet so I'd do a good grooming 3x a week and try to get there every day to pick out feet but sometimes it was every other day. I find that when I at least take a stiff brush and go over the horses' bodies, I'm also rubbing my hand over areas and I can feel for any issues. I've found ticks, cuts, swellings, heat, etc. at times so I think it's good to get that closer handle on them. :)

Bakkir and Dona Worry like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

Ideally, my horse would get the same grooming whether worked or not. If there's some huge crisis at work the horse might not get groomed that day.

Other than that, depends. If the horses aren't laid up or rehabbing an injury, they're getting worked between 3 and 6 times a week. And when getting worked the area touched by the saddle or harness needs to really be clean. So the horses getting worked would get more grooming than ones not in work.

I do believe feet need to be picked out daily(a rock can get wedged into the foot at any point), but once I got older and started having back trouble, I did it less often. Now with some improvements in health I'm finding I can go back to daily again.

Grooming. If I'm too ill to do more, I just do a twice-daily health check rather than a grooming(the horses that will get groomed would still get twice daily health check). Pull back blankets, check legs for heat, swelling, changes, pick out feet, check eyes, look for injuries, repro symptoms in mares, discharges, etc.

A show grooming would be more, but a full daily grooming for a horse - really an in depth brushing that really gets the horse clean, takes me about 45 minutes if I keep moving at a fast pace, possibly 30 minutes if pressed for time. That's a curry comb, then the dandy brush(cleaning it with curry as I go), then the body brush(ditto), and finishing up with a sheepskin brush or rubber (cotton cloth) for polish.

It should be a huge workout for the person doing the grooming, I should work up a sweat. Brush the roots of the mane, clean the eyes, brush the tail out, pick feet. About 45 min. If I move fast.

And generally if I'm working a horse, the horse is clipped and blanketed so taking off blankets would be part of grooming. If not getting worked, the blankets can be folded back in half and half of the horse groomed at a time, if it's very cold.

I really have to clip twice a year due to asthma, except for my mare that always has a very short fine coat.

If the horse is retired or recovering from an injury, grooming might be pretty basic. Takes about ten to fifteen minutes. More checking for health issues than really doing an in depth brushing.

I don't comb out tails any more. Pulls out too many hairs. I put show sheen on tails so they don't tangle, and then pick out with the fingers or possibly brush with a soft hair brush.

Alsosusieq2 and Dona Worry like this.
  9. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

have you tried dousing it with coconut oil or leave in conditioner? Works wonders on Chevy's super thick tail

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

No I haven't, great idea, thanks!

MzCarol likes this.