How often do you...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Groom your horse when not riding for whatever reason? (Injury, weather, etc)
    Pick the feet?
    Comb out the tail?

How much time do you spend (roughly) per session?

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Rarely lol.

Maybe every couple of months I'll bring up our senior mare and give her a bath, trim bridle path and mane, because she looks better with a short mane.

They get a check over everyday at feeding time though, and any NEEDS addressed.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I am at the barn daily, but usually the kiddos are outside and I don't do much more than lay eyes on them and see they are alive and well. At least twice a week, I try and give each of them a good thorough brushing, complete with picking the feet and dosing them with thrush buster.
    If I don't have time for a proper grooming, I just do the feet. I probably dose the feet three times a week, if I am luckily enough to go nightly I will pick and brush out the feet every night, but may only dose them once.
    Calypso NEEDS her fluffy tail brushed AT LEAST once a week, otherwise I can kiss hours of my life good bye later. She gets dreadlocks faster than anything I have ever seen. Weekly or more often, and it stays pretty good.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Probably about half the reason I try and do it so often is because a) BURDOCKS and b) she seems to stay 'tamer' when I do. I NOTICE if I skip a week. Oh and c) I like brushing them!

5. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Other then spring shedding, I don't brush anything on my horses.
    Tails and manes are long, but unless burdock and such get into them or they have a weird itch, they don't need to be brushed, they do not tangle.
    Unless its been wet, hooves don't need picking.

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. Sam C.

Sam C. Full Member

Have you considered just braiding it? I know some people braid tails and put them in tail bags, but right now I have one gelding whose insanely fluffy tale is being kept at bay with a simple braid.

7. Sam C.

Sam C. Full Member

To answer the original question, not often. I just pulled our senior mare out of the pasture two days ago to get rid of her fluffy coat (shedding blade, meet the biggest & fluffiest job you'll have all season). Otherwise, it's pretty infrequent that I groom unless I'm prepping to work or ride them. I've always got other stuff to be doing (maintenance, moving hay, etc.), and as much as I'd love to spend hours grooming, I just don't have the time.

Dona Worry likes this.
  8. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

Rarely.
    If I'm bored I'll bring them up and just brush them for fun but usually they just get brushed before I ride. A good proper bath and clip before a show of course.

Dona Worry likes this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I usually groom mine daily. I have to pull them out to feed buckets because they're in shared situations so I groom them as well. Sometimes it's a superficial job but I always do feet. I often skip tails especially in mucky weather when they're just stringy muddy things.

During times when I'm working I usually get to them 4 or 5 times a week. I have them out anyway and I just enjoy it.

Dona Worry likes this.
  10. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Mine are only minis so I'm uncertain if the time counts. :p But I spent about 5 min on each a night. I don't like them being dirty because they are basically my lawn ornaments. I just go in and groom each one while they're having their dinner--just a simple currying and detangling anything obvious in the mane and tail pretty much. But daily brushings are how I keep 3 tobianos from staining (mostly).

Dona Worry likes this.