How often do you vaccinate for rabies?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Qtina, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

I know dogs only need to be vaccinated for rabies every 3 years (at least in Michigan). So, do horses really need to be vaccinated for rabies every year?

I have never really understood why so many vaccinations are done yearly. Do they really need to be done this often?

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

I do it yearly

3. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

My horses receive a rabies vaccination every spring (along with EWE, Tetanus, and WNV vaccines).

4. bvhorses

bvhorses Senior Member

In my state, NY, a vet certificate for rabies vaccine is required to show, along with coggins test. Some shows also require proof of strangles vaccine and Rhino. There is a big controversy about this and how it is a real money maker for vets to require certification. I can buy the vaccine much cheaper and give it myself, as I do with my other shots, but need the vet certificate.

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

BV, here in MN we do not have to have a rabies certificate to show (just a negative coggins) but a vet HAS to give Rabies.

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Year for horses. You can't extrapolate the effectiveness of a vaccine in dogs or cats to that of horses. Until someone antes up the $$ to pay for a Rabies study that shows it's effective for more than a year, it will be required yearly in order to be considered effective. The year mark is what's been proven, nothing beyond.

7. kierababy

kierababy Banned

Yearly. (too short)

8. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

I understand that you can not equate what works for a dog to a horse. Or a cat to a dog. Or a human to a dog, etc.

I have just often wondered why it is so different from animal to animal.:confused:

Does anyone know of any good articles or information on this subject? I have been trying to find some, but have only been able to find articles that are basically just someone's opinion.

I know that it has been a topic of conversation about why humans only get vaccinated for certain things once in a whole lifetime, but we vaccinate animals yearly. I have to say - I really wonder this too.

9. Roleysnewmom

Roleysnewmom Senior Member+

over vaccination worries me also. I will vaccinate yearly untill someone proves otherwise is better, but I too feel like it's a big ploy for vets to make more money.

10. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

Yearly.

too short