How often do you ride?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by StraightandTrue, Jul 1, 2018.

?

How often do you ride?

1. I don't ride due to health reasons/personal circumstances

2. Rarely (less than 10 times a year)

3. Once a month

4. Once a fortnight

5. Once a week

6. 2-3 times a week

7. 4-5 times a week

8. At least once daily

9. Multiple times daily

10. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I thought it might be interesting to find out how often forum members ride. You can select up to 2 answers, so if you're not riding at the moment due to health or personal circumstances feel free to tick that box and also tick how often you would normally ride if you were able to.

I ride 4-5 times a week, with at least one of those rides being a lesson. I was doing two lessons a week - one with my biomechanics trainer, and one with my dressage trainer - but my dressage trainer has moved 2hrs away and is only coming up every 2-3 weeks now. I work full time and agistment in my area is hideously expensive, so I can only manage one horse in full work.

It's a balancing act trying to maintain a training program and still find time for my husband, friends, and other hobbies but I seem to pull it off... just! I'm lucky that the people in my life are very supportive and understanding of my passion, and don't resent the many hours I spend at the stable - not to mention the fact that I rarely have money to splurge on nights out or other activities. Over the years we've gotten good at finding or creating low budget activities instead of always going out. So instead of going out to a restaurant we'll organise a cook up at someone's home, and instead of paying megabucks for a spa treatment we'll have a pamper sesh at someone's home and share our beauty products. Living the high life on a budget basically haha.

I'm interested to hear how riding fits into other members' lives, whether it's a big part of what you do with horses, or whether your involvement with horses takes place out of the saddle.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Larkspade likes this.
  2. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

For a while I was riding 5-6 days a week and lessoning 3x. Last few months I've been doing 3-4 days a week and 3 lessons, but dropped down to 2 lessons this month.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Used to ride 5-6 days a week on my old horse(and previous horses) til he was retired, 4-5 days a week on the mare before she got injured and was retired.

4. StraightandTrue

Wow, lucky you! Is this on one horse or do you have more than one?

5. StraightandTrue

Were you working as well? And if so, how did you make time?

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I was riding 4-6 times a week through law school and up until I got a job. Now that I'm working, my riding is generally confined to the weekends. I sometimes manage to get a mid-week ride in but my commute is close to 2 hours one way so that doesn't happen often.

I have two horses so it makes things tough. I generally have a leaser for Sparky but right now I don't have someone regularly. So when I ride on the weekend, I do try to ride both horses both days.

7. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

One horse currently. I work for one lesson, and pay for the others.

8. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I try to ride as often as I can, usually 2 times a week seems to be the latest. I try to go out in the evening when Pudge goes to bed and it cools off, but it doesnt always work out like I want it to

9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I picked once a week because that's probably how it averages out. I go for weeks without riding then ride every day for a while and just gradually taper off again. Work gets in the way and the weather. I'm ready to retire!

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I look back on it and just shake my head. If you want something bad enough you find a way.

I always had an extremely full time, very demanding job that had trips, some of them with short notice, tons of emergencies, late nights, overnights, and often on call 24/7. I would try to get to work as early as possible, work through lunch(at some jobs I was able to work out over lunch in a gym), leap in the car at 5pm, drive like mad to the barn, tack up in about 15 minutes and be ready for a lesson (for many years, 5-6 lessons per week - full training). Sometimes I was the last lesson of the night, at 7:30 or 8:30. Then I'd cool out, groom, clean tack, drive home, walk the dogs, and fall in bed. And hopefully get to sleep part of the night. Or maybe have to drive back to work and work late.

Once I was so tired I drove off the road on the way back to work at 9pm.

Some jobs were better than others. One involved a 118 mile commute (round trip) that could take as long as five hours in the winter, and some were within a 30 min drive of my home.

Boarding stables were a problem as they frowned on me riding at 11:30 pm, which I had to do sometimes if I had to stay late at work. They also were very often in the opposite direction from home so I'd have to drive a huge triangle and spend some 3-4 hrs a day in the car. I got so I could change my clothes while driving, lol. It was kind of horrible, LOL. I kinda lived in my car.

Of course, I did actually once fall asleep while I was riding - cantering. On a big huge moving horse, LOL. I fell off and the horse just stood there as if I did that all the time(MAYBE I DID! lol).

As the jobs got better paying something just had to give - they got more demanding and more hours were expected. It got to where it just was no longer possible to board the horse. Having my own place allowed me to stay late at work (til 9pm or so) and then zip home and ride late in the evening at my own barn. That helped a lot.