How often do you remove your horse's blanket?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by draftlover, Jan 4, 2010.

1. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

For anyone who keeps their horses blanketed in the wintertime, how often do you remove their blanket to check for sores or other skin issues?

2. rwinksters

rwinksters Senior Member+

I don't own a horse, but for all the horses that I ride, we take their blankets off to ride. That usually ends up being 4 times a week or so and I have yet to see problems on any horse. I'm not a big fan of blanketing though...

3. nikki1990

nikki1990 Senior Member

I do once every two weeks on the best day

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Daily so they can be groomed. They have their rugs taken off and allowed to be naked if the weather is fine.

5. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

Since I moved my horses home I don't have an indoor arena anymore, so I am not riding this winter. But, I usually take them off about every other day to groom them and to help scratch their itchy spots. They seem to really like being brushed even though they aren't dirty.

I buy blankets that fit well, so I don't have problems with rubbing and have never had my horses have any skin issues from them.

I also remove them because I like to see how they are holding their weight and to see if I need to make any feed adjustments.

I don't blanket my pony, but my 2 big boys are TB and 3/4 TB. So they don't grow much of a coat. My older horse will shiver if he gets too cold.

6. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I try to only blanket in the wind/rain/snow. Otherwise, he's nekkid :D.

7. angie j

angie j Senior Member+

It's been 2 days for the fattys and 3 days for the lighter ones.... They are gonna HATE me!!! I hope tomorrow the wind will go down and they can also go back to nekkid!! (which they prefer)

8. Apps4Life

Apps4Life Senior Member

When I had Allie blanketed during her pregnancy I undid it every night during feeding and rolled it to her neck. Scratched, groomed and made sure everything was fine with the bun in the oven.

When it gets bitter cold and wet my other horses get their blankies.. same deal, but if it's still raining I don't roll it up to the neck, just undo it, run my hands under and then re-buckle.

9. kierababy

kierababy Banned

I check blankets daily. Things can happen if you dont take the blankets off. I know somebody that didnt take blankets off for over a month. When they finally took the blankets off, they had blanket sores and one had dropped weight.

10. QtrHrsMomma

QtrHrsMomma Senior Member

We remove blankets and groom a few times a week in winter - or whenever the weather allows! When its sunny i let them run and roll blanketless... nothing worse tho then taking them off and it starts to snow/rain and then you have to somehow dry the horse to reapply the blanket... thanks goodness that doesnt happen often! LOL

When the weather is bad for weeks - we often flip the back end of their blanket over their backs... toss the brush over them, check their weight and for rubbing and flip the blankets back on.