How often are vets wrong??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Dona Worry, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

How often to vets miscall a pregnancy?
    My rescue mare was originally listed as 'possibly pregnant ' on the kill pen sight, but I noticed that 1) about half the mares were listed the same way and 2) A BUNCH of people were commenting that they had gotten horses listed as possibly bred that weren't. I assumed it was a sympathy ploy, ignored it.
    Then my shipper picked her up and called me, saying shE looked heavily pregnant and I should get her checked ASAP.
    WHAT. Okay, vet, come check!
    Vet came, reached in, groped around, called me and said no, not pregnant. Anemic, and a huge belly full of poor quality hay and worms.
    I stopped worrying about it. I have NEVER had a vet call onE of our animals (dairy cows ) open when they were pregnant, although had a few declared pregnant when not. I mean, where would a baby hide? She is a thin horse, other than the big belly nothing but skin and bones.
    THEN I brought her home.
    First words out of my neighbors mouth.
    "Oh my god, is she pregnant?!"
    These people have foaled multiple horses.
    "A vet checked and said no. . . "
    And today, I noticed her udder. Just that, I noticed it. I could see it when she was walking. I hadn't really seen it before, so I can't say if it has changed or not. My neighbor helped me turn her out into a small paddock we made, and her comment watching her waltz about was "Wow, I can definitely see she HAS foaled before, if I didn't know better I would say she is due again!"
    WHAT
    Do we know better? ?? Could a vet somehow not feel a growing foal???? Can they hide???
    I have another vet coming thursday, and I will have her check again. And maybe again.
    How often are vets wrong?? Is it even possible? Am I crazy for freaking out?

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I had a vet miss one at 9 months along. I guess they can slip below the pelvis? although, wouldn't a vet palpate and say "huh, where is the uterus?". Mare foaled 3 months later

We never used that vet again

LadyDulcinea likes this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SAY "NEVER, STOP WORRYING, SHE'S FINE."

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well here you go, vets are always 100% correct, never know to fail, which makes them totally unique on the human population.

She PROBABLY is fine, belly full of worms, or just unthrifty and an old broodmares udder....lets see what vet #2 says...if it goes 1 and 1 then you WILL have to call #3 for the deciding vote

ginster and Varisha like this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Probably fine is good. I don't want her to be pregant! She is too thin, and was pretty sick, and I really don't want her to have that stress on her body!

6. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

It happens, probably more often than it should.

And yes, I personally believe that many rescues will claim the mares are pregnant as part of making people feel bad and more likely to give money. Heavily pregnant mares are not even allowed to be imported into Mexico for slaughter. Heck, I just say on FB about some rescue claiming to have "saved" a bunch of mini burros from slaughter. Pretty certain those were NOT headed to a slaughter house as they would not be worth it. These rescues pull at people's heart strings, people who believe whatever the rescues says is true and they never do their own research or they would know that pregnant mares, especially ones ready to foal, do not go to slaughter, just as skinny or lame horses don't either, they get rejected at the border. Heck any with ticks on them get kicked back as well.

Dona Worry likes this.
  7. 2miniB

2miniB Senior Member

Has she been on a pasture with clover? Get feed with soy in it? Fed flax? Any of those could cause udder development. Big belly can also be from worms, poor quality hay.

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

This perfectly sums up my thinking. AND is why I didn't think twice about them claiming she was pregnant.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I haven't read the ingredient list in her feed, but I DO think there is flax!
    No to the clover, not on pasture at all yet.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Yup, soy hulls and oil!
    That is probably all it is!

RIGHT?!