How much should horses drink in the winter months

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by sandy anderson, Mar 15, 2006.

1. sandy anderson

sandy anderson Full Member

What is a normal amount of water a horse should drink when it is cold out.Can they go a whole day without being thirsty?

2. Horse_Babe

Horse_Babe Full Member

Yes, its quite normal especialy in winter.
    you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Horses need to drink however much it takes for them to maintain a healthy digestive system and body. Going all day without drinking might be normal for a horse in the winter, but it does increase the risk of an impaction. How much does the horse drink at night? I have 3 horses here, and I have to fill up a 100 gallon water tank about every 4 days in the winter. Of course, the water is heated, which helps encourage drinking even in really cold weather.

4. Moosehorn Ridge

Moosehorn Ridge Full Member

Mine seem to drink less on damp winter days and more on really cold days. Our water tub is also heated, maybe that makes it nicer when it's cold. They have access to snow all the time and I think particularly the mare eats alot of it. You have to remember however it takes ten times the amount of snow to equal the same amount of water. So snow although handy is not sufficiant enough. Like horse babe said though "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink"

5. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

Studies show that an idle horse requires a minimum of 10 to 12 gallons of water a day. But each horse is an individual. Some might need more, others less. Just watch for signs of dehydration.

6. rageandglory

rageandglory Senior Member+

water consumption during the colder months is as pertinent as any other time. it is not unusual for a horse to take on less water when it's cold out, but that isn't exactly in his best interest, health wise. lack of hydration can set the horse up for colic problems. can you offer a bucket of warmer water once a day or more? or add a bit water directly to his grain? often it is simply that the horse does not want to drink such cold water.

7. SalemsMom

SalemsMom Senior Member+

Vet told me to put fine mineral salt in his feed,1 TBsp 2 a day

8. Diamondgirl

Diamondgirl Full Member

We add salt to their grain rations like a tsp. Covergirl prefers gatorade mixed in with her water. So I buy the power and she gets that plus reg. water.