1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

How many tons of hay for 1 horse ?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by fld20, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fld20

fld20 Full Member

Okay it's been a while since i've had a horse so I was wondering about how many tons of hay should I need for the winter ? We're down to 1 horse she's around 700 maybe 800lb's . Right now I'm looking into some straight alfalfa or some alfalfa / grass in case that makes a difference .
    Thanks

2. Mearhwine

Mearhwine Full Member

Are you getting small squares, big rounds, small rounds, or large squares? I can give you numbers of bales for each if you would like...:)

3. JazzyJockey

JazzyJockey Banned

since i feed my horses 15-20lb. of grass/alfalfa each a day that would mean they need uh..450-600lb each. a month. of course there is 2000lb. in ton so you would need about a ton every 3-4 months per horse. i don't know how long your winters are,but maybe this will help. :)

4. Akhorse

Akhorse Senior Member

I feed 60# timothy bales from the pacific north west. It takes 3 ton to feed my horse for a year. It all depends on your horse and the weather you have. I have an semi easy keeper, but get up to a week at a time of -40f. It also depends on if you free feed. If not, 1# hay per 100# body weight two times a day, so 16#, round to 20# a day times 30 is 480# per month or 10 60# bales a month, times however many months make up winter in your area. I would add an extra 10% to cover extra cold days.

Hope this helps and has not thrown you for a loop. (Or made you loopy:D)