How many times per week?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WildLittleWren, Dec 31, 2017.

1. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Full Member

Ok trying to settle a friendly disagreement with a friend. How many times per week do you work your very green broke horses? Do you ride them every time you work with them, or do you mix it up as to what you work on? How many times per week do you think is suitable for a more flighty, sensitive, reactive horse in the beginning of their under saddle training?

2. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

Once I start one I ride 5-6 days a week, some rides are ten minutes, some are twenty, some might be 30 minutes. I do not drill repetitious ground work, I teach something and move on. I ride western now but have done english and don't see much difference except the things that are taught. A "flighty, sensitive horse" would receive the same training, each horse progresses at it's own rate, so that really wouldn't change the number of rides per week, might take more or less rides to be ready to show.

the definition of green will vary greatly, you should define green and also define your level of green

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Sane here. As many days a week I have time for and weather allows. Like whoa, most rides are pretty short

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ditto. ^

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Depends. On how fit and mature the horse is physically, mostly, how naturally balanced the horse is, if the horse is coming back from an injury. Going up the levels of dressage is about building a fitness continuously, so long periods of no work would be of serious concern. Baseline xrays, flexion tests, done.

If the horse was at what would normally be the level of a 3 year old(fat, soft, just out of the pasture, maybe with a little bit of longeing, but still very soft) - 3 times a week, 10 min of work. No more. Minimize longeing (subtract it from riding time).

4 yr old, 4 times a week, 20 min of work

5 yr old, 5 times a week, 30 min of work.

A little bit of time on each end for warmup and cool down or a short hack.

Since it's so cheap now, it's within my range, and I would train with a heart rate monitor now, but in the past, took horse's pulse, very careful of any uneven strides, signs of stress to legs, etc.

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Consistent, short rides every day or close to it. Especially for flighty, reactive horses who tend to be that way largely because they need consistency in work and handling.

walktrot, ginster and manesntails like this.
  7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

The first few weeks I usually do five to six days of ground work, a day off, three days riding, day off, three days on, one off etc until I'm happy I've got a good handle on 'em. Usually three to six weeks depending on the horse and assuming life didn't interrupt my plans lol

After that bare minimum 4 rides a week. Depends how well the horse learns. A slow learner I'd put more short rides on, might even ride twice in a day. One that picks it up quick I'm riding mostly for fitness and putting fun buttons on after the first three weeks or so.
    The only thing I might do differently with a flighty horse is shorten the time I spend on things. Or not. Depends. Too many "flighty" horses I see are just bored out of their gourd. They have too much time to look around and find monsters.

There really is no secret formula. A good trainer will work with what the horse gives them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    aFlamingAngel likes this.
  8. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

In the summer I ride for 30-45 minutes 5-7 days a week. Early spring, late fall, early winter we do light 20 ish rides or ground work. Late spring, early fall riding is for 30- 45 minutes 3-4 days a week. Ground work varies to when I feel like we need to do it or showmanship practice.

9. Tige Ress

Tige Ress Full Member

On my Arab, long trail rides at the walk hills, dales, rivers. Some trot, but mostly a forward walk.

walktrot and Larkspade like this.
  10. Ashley Anderson

Ashley Anderson Registered

It is always best to ride as many times a week as you can to keep your training sessions consistent (usually the first week I work 7 days a week and then move it to 6 days a week). However, if you can't work a horse everyday try and schedule your sessions close together. For example if you can only work 3 days a week make it Mon-Wed.

.....................................................................................................
    "Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I'm possible."

AA Horsemanship
    Mobile Horse and People Trainer
    Check out our website: www.aahorsemanship.com
    Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: AA Horsemanship
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/doubleahorsemanship