How many square bales are in a round bale?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by lacy, Oct 17, 2008.

1. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

I am looking at different ideas to deal with my tiny pasture with 4 horses right now with very little grass. I plan on getting a round bale and just taking a pile off of it per day to throw in the pasture.

I think it is still cheaper to just get the round bale and do what I am planning on doing. But, I am curious- how many square bales do you think fit in a 4x5 round bale of Bermuda?

2. EVOO

EVOO Senior Member+

It depends. How much does your round bale weigh and how much do available square bales weigh? Hay cannot be measured by size, it must be compared weight to weight.

If you have a 500 pound round bale and 50 pound square bales, then 10 square bales would equal 1 round bale - you'll seldom find the math that convenient in the real world, though. Even bales from the same farmer, same cut, same field will vary in weight.

3. livaliljequist

livaliljequist Senior Member

I have 6x6 round bales that weight 2,000 lbs........it is always cheaper to get round then square. 65.00 per round bale compared to 6.00 a square bale. My square bale run 45-50 lbs depending on the thickness of the fields.......

4. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

hmm, very good point. I forgot about the weight...

5. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member+

I totally agree.
    Some rolls may be as big as others but not rolled as tight. Same with squares.

I had some of my hay rolled one year. (5 X 4 rolls) I needed some square bales and unrolled a few rolls and squared them.
    I only got 11 - 12 bales per roll. I thought there would be more than that.

Another point is how much does a square bale weigh? I have come to learn that the weight of a square bale is deceiving.
    I decided to weigh my square bales as they came out of the baler and adjust the weight until they ran around 45 lbs. (and 42 inches long)
    When a customer came to get hay out of the field he asked why I made the bales so heavy, at 65 lbs?
    I pointed to the hanging scales and told him to weigh a few. He was shocked that they only weighed @ 45 lbs. He had been buying "45 -50" pound bales that were not as heavy.
    [If I can bale 1000 bales and cut 5 lbs per bale, I have baled an additional 125 bales. At $4 per bale, I have made an extra $500 ;)]
    I now keep a set of scales on the entrance gate when I bale. Customers are welcome to weigh any bale they desire.

Lynn, one consideration you will need to make when pulling hay off a roll is the rolled hay is not compacted. It will be fluffy.
    It would take a lot of hay from a roll to equal in weight what you throw in a few flakes from a square bale.